Steph's RSM 130

StephLove

I recently won this tank on another reefing forum and ran across this club while doing some research on the setup. This is just one out of four tanks that I've got going at the moment. I replaced my 30 gallon long with this tank and used the same rock, water and sand (rinsed). It has mostly soft corals with the exception of my hydnophora and some macro, and I'm thinking of putting a few acans in there. The fish include a six line wrasse and a zebra dwarf lionfish. I'm having problems with micro bubbles and I can't figure out how to get the skimmer to work properly but overall, I'm liking the setup.

I want to post pictures but apparently I need to have 5 post before I can, so someone please comment so I can reply! :wave:

StephLove

Thank you for the link, I'll have to dig around back there and see if I can figure it out. It could just be from the skimmer breaking in.

StephLove

Here's a quick pic, not sure if I like where everything is at or not yet. I'm still waiting on everything toopen all the way, when they do, I'll take better pics of everything.

StephLove

Thanks, I like it too but it's magnetic so I have to be super careful with the cleaner magnet. I'm pretty sure a majority of the bubbles are coming from the skimmer. I turned it off and most of them went away.

Picture dump!

SystemInfected

I think I followed your winning tank :p as soon as I saw the paly/shell-combo I figured.. You did the garden tank right?

Great work with both of them! Do you still have the garden?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

StephLove

I think I followed your winning tank :p as soon as I saw the paly/shell-combo I figured.. You did the garden tank right?

Great work with both of them! Do you still have the garden?

Hey, no I was the overall winner with the lamp tank lol. The palys in the shell were given to me by a friend and were in my 30 long.

StephLove

Ok so I'm still having problems with my skimmer. We set the tank up Monday using the same water and rock (used the same sand too but I rinsed it clean). It's not like there are no protiens in the water. I still can't get it to do anything. I put the air adjuster thing on the air intake hose and have it opened a little and the water goes half way up the neck and just sits there. No bubble action. If I open it up anymore, water spills into the cup. Somebody help! :cursin:

spiraling

I find my skimmer to be a little touchy, but usually no skim is the problem. Make sure your water level in the back is high enough and you have enough flow. If mine drops below the 3rd line or so I notice in the skimmer. If my black sponge is gunky I don't get much in the skimmer. I also have my air wide open. Certain things (like chemi pure) will give me nothing but an overflowing skimmer for several days. Maybe if you run that way for a day it will settle down and give foam? IDK, I'm pretty new at this. :spinner:

StephLove

The only kind of media that i have in there is the carbon that came with it and my black sponge thing sits in the compartment with my return pump. Also, i have my gate on the skimmer at it's lowest position.