Starting my biocube 14 up

klok95330

Ok all so I got my LED kit in the hood now. (6 blue, 6 white for now will see how it works later)

Got my bulkreefsupply 5 stage RO/DI system set up on the kitchen counter next to my biocube and its filling as we speak. Salt/Sand and a few pieces of live rock coming on payday (friday) will post some pics then!

Until then here is a few of the LED set up:

622465_3935258532253_1456546214_o.jpg

622537_3935259572279_608433210_o.jpg

256319_3935260892312_675671545_o.jpg

622171_3935261692332_1108317976_o.jpg

473658_3935263372374_1772741802_o.jpg

330699_3935262692357_1727606534_o.jpg

412453_3935418136243_2132441128_o.jpg

411499_3935416736208_493107888_o.jpg

klok95330

TDS Meter water in: 6
TDS Meter water out: 0

So far so good.

Looking to pick up some salt. Any ideas? I've always used instant ocean. But this time I was thinking of using reef crystals. Any reviews on the reef crystals salt? Pros/cons?

Also going to pick up a standard 10$ hydrometer for now, then when money allows a refractometer. Something between 50-100 bucks.

As of now I'm using both the salt water/reef API master test kits. Need to pick up a Magnesium test kit. As well.

For sand I'm thinking of using about 1 1/2 - 2 inches of live sand or sugar fine sand. I'm gonna go the man made rock and 1 piece of live rock to seed the tank.

The first things I'm going to be adding are the copepods. I want there to be plenty before I go adding any first. I want my corals and everything in first. Then a fire shrimp and clean up crew. Fish later on. Maybe 1 or 2 small fish.

In the back chambers I changed out the stock pump to a rio 800. It does about 200ish GPH
Taam Rio (Rio+) Powerhead/Pump

Going to be adding a media basket in the back middle chamber for carbon/chempure/purigen and some cheato with a light. Going to scrape some of the paint off the back so I can put the light on the outside. First chamber I cut away the slats for the flow to be better and knocked out the bottom wall and I'm going to put the heater there or in the last chamber. Not sure yet. Might get a skimmer still haven't decided. I'll be doing water changes every week. 2 gallons maybe.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
TDS Meter water in: 6
TDS Meter water out: 0

So far so good.

Looking to pick up some salt. Any ideas? I've always used instant ocean. But this time I was thinking of using reef crystals. Any reviews on the reef crystals salt? Pros/cons?

Also going to pick up a standard 10$ hydrometer for now, then when money allows a refractometer. Something between 50-100 bucks.

As of now I'm using both the salt water/reef API master test kits. Need to pick up a Magnesium test kit. As well.

For sand I'm thinking of using about 1 1/2 - 2 inches of live sand or sugar fine sand. I'm gonna go the man made rock and 1 piece of live rock to seed the tank.

The first things I'm going to be adding are the copepods. I want there to be plenty before I go adding any first. I want my corals and everything in first. Then a fire shrimp and clean up crew. Fish later on. Maybe 1 or 2 small fish.

In the back chambers I changed out the stock pump to a rio 800. It does about 200ish GPH
Taam Rio (Rio+) Powerhead/Pump

Going to be adding a media basket in the back middle chamber for carbon/chempure/purigen and some cheato with a light. Going to scrape some of the paint off the back so I can put the light on the outside. First chamber I cut away the slats for the flow to be better and knocked out the bottom wall and I'm going to put the heater there or in the last chamber. Not sure yet. Might get a skimmer still haven't decided. I'll be doing water changes every week. 2 gallons maybe.

Good news on tds. Just avoid the hydrometer for now. 30$ gets u a brs one. Save the cash. Welcome to rs dude. I'm watching.

..........rarely am I speechless

vsindorf

Hey Keith! Welcome to the biocube club! It's looking good!

Your LED strip is pretty sweet, I'm looking forward to seeing it in action. Definitely the way of the future I think.
I like the live crushed coral sand personally over the sugar fine. I think it resists compacting better and allows more surface area for bacteria and habitat for pods. And unless you're considering a sand inhabitant (burrowing fish/shrimp, sand star, etc) you really don't need more than an inch of sand. So excited that you're going for man made rock though! Do you have a source? I am all for minimal ocean impact :)

As far as stocking goes, you obviously want to wait until you go through your cycle and get some bacteria and a nice healthy coat of diatoms. Then is the time for a clean up crew - they are your first livestock. Since you're not using seasoned LR, adding some live pods is probably a good idea. Good to get those guys growing before any predators are added too.

one more piece of advice - put the heater in the first chamber - it has the highest water level. There is a skimmer that is made for the biocube 14 which is pretty sweet, but as long as you keep your bioload light and keep up with water changes, I'm not sure it's necessary. Your cheato will help too.

klok95330

Once I get paid on friday. I'm ordering my refractometer, fish saver, media basket, koralia nano power head, salt and sand

Question. For the sand, should I just use the standard live sand? Or should I just use sugar fine sand? The live rock should seed the live sand. Or I could just get a scoop of some sand from an established tank. Ideas?

aphelps17

The piece of live rock should seed the sand, I didn't use live sand for my cube. Hey what type of biocube do you have, is it the oceanic or one of the newer ones?

klok95330

Yeah wife had a baby so I had to put it on hold :) but, I'm getting some money tomorrow and ordering my refractometer and media basket and once I get it I"m getting the salt/sand. The tank is there. but babies come first. Wife doesnt mind me setting it up so long as the babies dont need anything. We had our 4th baby.

immerume2

Dang wives having babies... Lol. Mine went and got herself pregnant too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2