Starting a Sump/Refugium

dltt

I have a question about starting a sump/refugium. I have an existing 10 gallon, with an existing hang on aquaclear 110 working as mech filter and small refugium. I want to drill a new 10 gallon, add an overflow from glass holes.com, and move the contents from this aquarium to the drilled tank with an overflow. Then use this existing 10 gallon as a sump/refugium. My question is about introducing all the new fresh saltwater from the sump/refugium to the display tank...do I just mix and heat the new saltwater as close as I can get to the existing display tanks salinity and ph, turn on the pump and let her rip...or what? Thanks for all the advice!

DaveK

In my opinion, adding a sump and overflow to an existing 10 gal tank isn't cost effective. Yes, people have done it, but about all they end up with is a system with more parts in it and about 5 to 7 gal additional water.

I think you'd be much better off getting something like a 30 or 40 gal tank, and set that up with your existing 10 gal tank as the sump. Then you'd get getting something for your time and effort.

If your still going to do it, set up the new tank, and add about 7 gal of new water to the sump, and start your main return pump, initially make the flow low, so you don't add all the new water at once to the system.

dltt

Thanks for the info! I am going to set up a 40 breeder, but still in the saving dinero mode for lighting etc. Thanks again.