Starting a Reef Tank, QUESTIONS!!!

So I went to my local aquarium shop today to pick up my aquarium that my girlfriend got me for christmas. I got him to give me a list of the rest of the stuff I would need to start the aquarium. I just wanted to see what you guys thought about the products and also if there is anything else i should substitute in or stay away from. Im sure he gave me the items he has the highest mark-ups on but anyways here goes. The aquarium is a 46 gallon bow front.

-Protein Skimmer
Prizm Skimmer - Deluxe - 9 3/4 in. x 5 3/4 in. x 13 3/4 in. | Venturi Models | Protein Skimmers | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com
He recommended a Prizm Deluxe Protein skimmer. any reviews about these?

Powerhead
He recommended a hydor koralia 1 but priced it at $44.10 which seems a little high. Koralia 1 hydor koralia 1 koralia 1 power head hydor koralia 1 power head koralia 1 pump hydor koralia 1 pump circulation powerhead

Heater
He recommended a Hagan Elite 150 watt pre set heater. Is the wattage to little or to much for a 46 gallon? The price he gave was 23.36

Lamps
He recommended the Nova Extreme 4-39w lamps, the model is the t-5 but the price he gave was $265 which seems extrememly high for lamps. I will be growing corals but am a beginner so will probably stick to the hardier corals. Any recomendations on some other lamps i could go with

He also has 50 gallons of instant ocean on there which I know i need and quoted me at $18 for a 50lb bag and he also put two 20lb bags on there of live sand. Ive heard most people say live sand is a waste. Any truth to that? Im just looking for some information on whats the best route to go. Thanks guys!!

tektite

Some thoughts:

Prism skimmers do not have good reputations...better to start with a slightly more expensive skimmer that works better than to have to replace a bad one later anyway.

Koralias are good cheap powerheads...look at online stores for much better prices (can find K1's for $30).

Heaters you usually aim for ~5 watts/gallon. You also might want to consider getting several small ones instead of one large one. Heaters (regardless of brand) can break, and when they do they usually get stuck on. If you have several small ones, that can lessen the chance that you fry your tank. Personally, I like the visi-therm stealth heaters because they're plastic.

The live sand you can buy at the store pretty much isn't live. Its cheaper to get dry sand and then find some hobbiests around you and get a cup or two of their live sand to seed yours.

The nova extreme is a good light. If you want to keep more high light animals like SPS, clams, or anemones you should probably look into the nova extreme pro that has individual reflectors. No real cheap way around that one.

Hope this helps, others will probably chime in too.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
-Protein Skimmer
He recommended a Prizm Deluxe Protein skimmer. any reviews about these?
Save your money and get a GOOD one. That one has a terrible reputation. There is one right now on a local forum that's been bought and returned by 2 forum members and a 3rd one just bought it. Skimmers and Lights are the two places you want to make sure you get good stuff. Even if you have to wait and save a lil while you'll be money ahead in the end.

I like the Koralia powerheads for in-tank flow. You get a good unit for a fair price (when compared to other powerheads).

I'll give My spill now about buying local... yes you may be able to save some coins by shopping online but when you support your LFS you're really just investing in your tanks. What happens on Sunday afternoon when something breaks or goes wrong in your tank? If your LFS is out of business because you buy the good stuff online then your only resource is to go back online and order it. Then you either wait for it or pay Highway Robbery prices for expedited shipping. The way I see it.. buy local your $$ stays local...

Heater
He recommended a Hagan Elite 150 watt pre set heater. Is the wattage to little or to much for a 46 gallon? The price he gave was 23.36

I like to get a couple just as already mentioned.

Lamps
He recommended the Nova Extreme 4-39w lamps, the model is the t-5 but the price he gave was $265 which seems extrememly high for lamps. I will be growing corals but am a beginner so will probably stick to the hardier corals. Any recomendations on some other lamps i could go with

With lights always.. Always... ALWAYS plan for more than you "expect". I did this the OTHER way and bought FOUR new fixtures in 2 years because I kept "upgrading". Buy cheap buy twice.

The Nova Extreme Pro is a better light but I like others even better. Ask him about the Catalina Aquariums brand of lights. He should be able to get them for you.

This one has the same # of bulbs as the one he quoted but has individual reflectors for each bulb (some studies suggest that IDR give you as much as 300% more light penetrating the water.. if you're going to invest in MAKING the light why not put as much as possible into the water?)

Catalina Aquarium - 36 inch BLACK SOLAR T5 HO - 4 X 39W

and this one has 6 bulbs (you could do just about anything your heart desires in your tank)
Catalina Aquarium - 36 inch BLACK SOLAR T5 HO - 6 X 39W with Moonlights[/quote]

As for sand I like the idea of some LIVE sand from the get-go especially if you don't have good ties with a local reefer yet. I've set several tanks up using 1 part live sand to about 4-5 parts dry sand.

KUDOS to you for asking before hand!! Knowledge is power and can save you a LOT of money down the road. Keep in mind that not everything your LFS tells you is "Gospel". It really depends on the store and the actual person you're talking to. Some don't have any morals and will only suggest what they happen to carry on hand. Others will sell you live-stock that's not right for your tank KNOWING it will die and you'll come back to buy more.

Here is a thread you'll want to spend a LOT of time reading and learning. This can go a long way to helping you get started the RIGHT way instead of the expensive and painful way. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...rs/33555-look-frequently-asked-questions.html

Good luck.. happy Reefing :)

THANKS GUYS

I appreciate all the help and I would rather buy from my LFS too but am always skeptical when I walk into a place and have barely any knowledge about that im talking about. Thats why I got a quote and wanted responses from you guys. Ok some more questions....

I looked at the prizm deluxes protein skimmers and saw all the bad reviews. What would be a good alternative skimmer? Its a 46 gallon bow. Although I am on a budget, I dont mind spending more for a better quality....

Also this is probably a really dumb question but when you get a couple smaller heaters? Do you just put them on the same temp or what?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
THANKS GUYS

I appreciate all the help and I would rather buy from my LFS too but am always skeptical when I walk into a place and have barely any knowledge about that im talking about. Thats why I got a quote and wanted responses from you guys. Ok some more questions....

I looked at the prizm deluxes protein skimmers and saw all the bad reviews. What would be a good alternative skimmer? Its a 46 gallon bow. Although I am on a budget, I dont mind spending more for a better quality....

Also this is probably a really dumb question but when you get a couple smaller heaters? Do you just put them on the same temp or what?

I don't have any experience with a skimmer for that size tank so I'd better let that stay for someone who does. :) I can tell you this . . . when you buy a skimmer you want to buy one that's rated for at least 2x your tank volume. That's a rule of thumb for them.

Here is how I set my heaters.

I let the tank run with lights on and pumps running for a couple of days to find out where the tank will hover at on average. If I'm lucky it's right around 78 degrees (that's about right for my area). I set the heater(s) to just about that temp so that with lights on the heaters wont come on but lights off they do if needed. This gives me very consistent tank temps from day to night. And yes I have both of mine set to the same setting.

Daeuco

Are you planning on having a separate sump / refugium?
That affects the answers a lot.
A separate sump and or refugium gives you more room to add a bigger skimmer etc, and have it hidden. I have a 46 bowfront in the living room, and a sump and refugium in the room behind it. All hidden from view from the living room.

Daeuco

Lighting - I have a TEK T-5, 36" four tube fixture, and I have a clam that's doubled in size and acroporas that are taking over the tank. There's nothing you can't keep under this light.

Daeuco

I was trying to stay away from a sump for this aquarium so it would have to be an hob skimmer
I tried that with my fist tank several years ago. I couldn't get it to work. I couldn't find a HOB skimmer that was worth hauling home. Hopefully you'll have better luck.
I agree that the Prism is a POS. Don't waste your money on it.

yea I dont have a drilled aquarium so I'm kind of on the fence of what to do. Both LFS I have gone only talk up what they have and kind of shoot down everything they dont carry. I think im leaning towards a reef octopus or aquac remora. Anyone else got any ideas because this is the most important part of my tank and its still up in the air right now!!

mattdean

I have a 46 bow front tank without a sump and I'd like to help you avoid the problems I have had. I'm upgrading this month because, as beautiful as my tank is, I find it difficult to maintain the water quality for a reef. I have an expensive - albeit crappy - TurboFloator Multi SL HOB skimmer. Personally, I think it looks bulky and unattractive and noisy compared to a skimmer that's in a sump. I would suggest a Vertex IN-100 if you can manage a sump. They are inexpensive and work great. ( My new setup has an IN-180) I have 2 Nova Extreme lights on the 46 bow front - both have had to be replaced because they simply stopped working. I highly recommend the Tek lights.

Now, if I had setup a sump with a skimmer and a small refugium underneath, I would still keep it and have less headaches. Instead, I am starting from scratch again.

Do yourself a favor and do it right from the beginning. Spend a couple of hundred dollars more and you will have no regrets. I could have had my tank drilled, but I was unaware of the benefits of a sump/refugium. Now, I can't win the battle against phosphates, algae, etc.

Lastly, I spent hundreds and hundreds more than I needed to by not shopping around and researching, so, my advice is go online, find good prices - once you are sure of what you want - so you can do more with your budget. Ultimately, you want the best experience you can have.

Hope everything works out for you. Enjoy!

Daeuco

yea I dont have a drilled aquarium so I'm kind of on the fence of what to do. Both LFS I have gone only talk up what they have and kind of shoot down everything they dont carry. I think im leaning towards a reef octopus or aquac remora. Anyone else got any ideas because this is the most important part of my tank and its still up in the air right now!!

If you don't have it set up yet you can drill it yourself. That's what I did. It's not hard, you just have to go slow and be careful.
I could even loan you the diamond hole saw if you want to do it.

yea nothing is set up yet and I want to do things right first so if i need a sump then ill get a sump. New Question.....If I can take back this aquarium and receive credit...would it be easier to take this aquarium back and purchase one that has already been drilled? I feel like trying to drill my own aquarium could be a little pita. Also if someone could provide some info about sumps and how to set them up then that would be awesome!!

Daeuco

You may be able to take it to a local glass shop to be drilled. The one here couldn't because of the curved front, so I did it myself. It wasn't hard.
Of course, if you do it yourself and break it, you're SOL. LOL.

ok do you mind pmin me or posting some specifications of where to drill the hole and how big it should be? Also how many holes should there be? Im completely new to this!!

mattdean

I would absolutely bring it back and get a factory drilled tank. The last thing you want is a micro-fracture that might give out later.

Daeuco

ok do you mind pmin me or posting some specifications of where to drill the hole and how big it should be? Also how many holes should there be? Im completely new to this!!
Where, how many, and what size is up to you. You drill them to fit the bulkhead fittings you are going to use.
I have two holes for 1" fittings (I drilled 1-3/4" holes) up high behind a coast-to-coast overflow that I made. (My first tank had corner overflows and sounded like Niagra Falls all the time. Irritating!)
I figured if a snail or whatever stopped one up, I would still have one operating until I could dig the blockage out of the other one. The PVC tubing from both of these goes thru the wall into my "fish room" to the sump and fuge. I also have a float switch wired up so that if both holes are blocked and the water level rises in the overflow, the return pump cuts off.
I'll take some pics of what I did and post them shortly.

Daeuco

Here's the side view of the overflow. I got a couple pieces of glass cut to build it with and used aquarium sealant to glue it in place.

overflow_side_view.jpg
[/IMG]

Here's a pic of the two outlets. The vertical open tubes are the siphon breaks so it doesn't make sucking noises.

overflow_outlets.jpg
[/IMG]

Here it is from the front. It's only about 5 inches tall but runs the length of the aquarium. Doesn't take up much room this way. I planted GSP on it to sort of disguise it somewhat.

overflow_front.jpg
[/IMG]

Daeuco

I would absolutely bring it back and get a factory drilled tank. The last thing you want is a micro-fracture that might give out later.

That's not a problem if you just go slow and be careful. I have drilled a half dozen or so holes in glass with no problems whatsoever. You just use some plumber's putty to build a little "swimming pool" around where the hole will be drilled so the bit stays underwater the whole time. Run the drill slowly and don't apply ANY pressure, just let the bit work slowly.