Starphire/Custom Aquarium... $$$!?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'll ask the exact name and location and get back with you. I "think" they are in TX if that helps. The owner used to make tanks for Oceanic I think. I'll let you know what I find out.

TylerHaworth

I love the Elos tanks, but I can't quite afford a Lamborghini yet... I'm still in the BMW/Mercedes class, if you get my drift

kyle1284

have you ever put a starphire pane and a regular glass pane inside a tank with water in it? they look the exact same... not worth the money IMO

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
have you ever put a starphire pane and a regular glass pane inside a tank with water in it? they look the exact same... not worth the money IMO

Kyle with all due respect there are some significant differences especially if you compare them side by side. Not only is Starphire (low iron) less green to the naked eye it also has less color/tint distortion. On the flip side most people wouldn't notice the difference unless 2 panes were placed side by side. Also I don't think Starphire is worth the $$ for smaller tanks. If the tank is say less than 75 gallons or so I'd say save the money. The thicker the glass the more pronounced the difference is. Also if you look at edge cuts (seams) you'll see a difference. Here are some examples:

Starphire > Regular Glass > Aqua Vim (end shots so the difference is more pronounced)
glasscompare.jpg

and this is pretty obvious which is which
starphire_img_13.jpg

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'd get the bear out of the tank dude. I don't think their reef safe. Just sayin.

Matt's DROIDX using Forum Runner since idiots hacked thru tapatalk.

TylerHaworth

And the debate continues. Meh, I think I'm just gonna buy a regular 120 and drill it for a BeanAnimal/Herbie Calfo style overflow... Just not worth the extra $800+ and 6-8 week lead time to me

kyle1284

my question was, in all due respect, have you ever seen a regular pane of aquarium glass compaired to a starphire pane of glass inside a tank with water. Once light hits it both panes light up equally and there is no visable difference between the regular pane and the starphire pane. This was done for me at a reputable aquarium dealer (Aquarium World) after I began to think about getting a starphire 210. This very example he used very quickly made my mind up and i purchased a oceanic 210. We both agree that they are not worth the money though.

TylerHaworth

That extra cash will buy half of the Radions I need! =) It's not really the price itself, but rather the price disparity that bothers me. I'm still a couple months out from "having" to make a decision anyway, it's hard to tell what the heck I'll be thinking by then.

reeferman

starphirre is totally worth it!ive got all sides done and the clarity and true color rendition is absolutely brilliant!heres how you can tell how clear starphirre glass is:go to the end cut on one of the glass panels on standard glass and try to look through it to the other end of the panel,you can barely see 1/32" in to it.go to the same place and look through starphirre glass and you will see all the way through to the other side.ask BigAl07 about that,i showed him that little experiment on my tank when he came for a visit.he looked through the end of my 48" front panel and saw my hand clearly waving at the other end.its so clear that you can read words through the end cut.keep in mind that "starphirre"is just a brand name of low iron glass and different companies are gonna use varying degrees of low iron glass.the lower the iron content,the clearer the glass.im so happy with my tanks glass,it was a work of art even without water in it and Al will attest to that.

reeferman

Clear Vision Aquariums built mine.they are a small outfit in Atlanta that has built many,many tanks for members of my local reef club,Atlanta Reef Club.he had a store called Fish Scales but I believe he's closed the store to focus on Clear Vision and aquarium building.i have no idea on shipping as I'm only 160 miles from Atlanta and I drove up and got mine.