Starfish & Nanos

Shermy

Happy Tuesday!

While waiting for our water jug to be filled up at the LFS we were poking around and looking at all the fun creatures. We came across a small starfish and asked the guy working if the 12g nano is able to support a starfish (and two small fish), his OF COURSE! shocked me. As I was under the impression starfishes get to big, or need something the nano can't provide them. I am so used to being told "not with the nano" that yes's make me do a double take :) a research.

The guy we were talking to was new, and has given us questionable advice before so I wanted to see what you all thought. The starfish in question either is or looks VERY similar to this guy (this is not my tank)

DSC01212.JPG

DAHansen

My understanding is that they need a great amount of care and stability (O2,salinity, pH, etc.) to thrive in any tank. This is generally more difficult to do in smaller tanks.

The one in your photo looks a lot like a Linckia which I believe are on the more difficult end of the starfish difficulty scale.

sambrinar

Don't do it, been there done that in a 12gal, too much sg swing with evaporation. I didn't have any other swings, just sg. I get a swing of about 1.024 to 1.025 with just evaporation over the weekend. not enough water to dilute. the LFS is supposed to sell, sell, sell....

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I would NOT try it... of course I HAVE Tried it no less than THREE times.... I'm not that thick headed but it did take me KILLING three of them to realize my Nano's are too small for a starfish like that.

Be smart and say No thank you! Also you might advise them to EDUCATE their employees! Imagine what PETA would do if we killed cats & dogs at the rate we kill our sea critters....

Brent F

Brittle stars do okay in nanos. Here's a picture I took at night of one I have in a 34 gallon that is getting huge. You can see by the clown pair at the bottom just how large it is.

IMG_0892.jpg

Brent F

Green brittle stars should be avoided since they are predators and will pick off your fish at night. Other species such as the pink brittle star are scavengers so are okay.