Star Fish Infestation

jwill

My 125 tank is infested with the small sea stars. I've removed more than one hundred in the last two weeks and I'm certain there are as many still in the tank. They are consuming the corraline algae on my LR to the point that some of the rock is pure white.

I'm thinking of using Harlequin shrimp but I will first have to remove my Flame Hawkfish or the shrimp won't last two minutes in the tank. Does anyone have any other solutions and how long will it take for two shrimp to bring the starfish under control?

Thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Are you sure THEY are doing it? Make sure you're not simply removing "Micro-brittle stars" from your tank. They are detritus eaters and VERY good for the tank as a whole.
:)

jwill

I've been reluctant to remove them for more than 6 months now, for the very reasons you state. I've been checking the tank at night with a flashlight and they come out at night in droves all over the rock. I have some corraling covered sea shells and you can see where they have eaten the algae, the shapes of the white shell match their shapes and sizes. I am convinced that they are the culprit!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Aaahhhh I think you may be describing asteria (sp?) stars. I'll be right back with links...

cbrownfish

You talkin' about these pretty little snowflakes? :D

2950972936_d920e47933_o.jpg