Standpipe

Hi all,
Just setting up my new tank, and am putting a standpipe into my in-tank overflow. I have read all the articles by Durso on his standpipe, but the guy at the LFS made one for me and threw it in with the deal. It seems a lot more simple than Dursos version and was wondering why his seems so complicated. Here is a photo.
051.jpg

Is there any reason a version to Durso's specifications should work better?

framerguy

The only thing I can see that is different between yours and Durso is the Durso is adjustable in height so you can fine tune the water level for optimum efficiency. Your version will work but I don't think you can adjust it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Very good point Greg.

They are essentially the same except for "adjustability". You want to be able to "Tune" it or either the noise or the water level will drive you crazy.

I would imagine he made that one LONGER than needed so you can "Tweak" it. It took me several attempts to get my water level right but I finally did it. Make sure there is a small (1/4" I think) hole in the very top of the cap so you can "TWEAK" the suction.

cbrownfish

Yes, they come through bulkheads from dual drains/overflows inside the tank. The external part can work even if your overflow is a top-to-bottom style.

2930678664_16d08d62f8.jpg

2930678584_5180abf264.jpg

Fendur

A quick neat trick I learned earlier is to stick an airline control valve on the caps to adjust the airflow to control noise. Otherwise if you drill too big you will need to drill a new hole.

framerguy

How about "detail oriented"? :eek:
Perfect Ron! I was totally messing with you and trying to be funny. I wish I could do that detail oriented thing...things just seem to explode in all directions as I walk by. I am fortunate that my wife loves me in spite of it.

Sorry Dionysusjg, :threadjack: