Stand recieved flood damage - help

Lewik

quick question for those with more knowledge than I:

My apartment occasionally suffers from minor flood damage. the 1st incident occured 1-2 months ago, with the 2nd occuring a few days ago. The flood water was high enough to soak the carpet, mainly in areas where something was pressing down on it, with my red sea max (wooden) aquarium stand being one of said things. Maintenance came and vaccumed everything up, but I am left wondering if the wood soaked water would suffer enough damage to cause the aquarium to eventually collapse?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I can see where that could be a valid concern. Just taking a guess, it should be ok, but to make sure... I would take a flat head screw driver & poke around a bit on the base & see if I could find any soft spots... if not you should be ok, if you find any soft spots might be reason to look to replace the base.

Just guess & what I would do, hope that helps.

Lewik

thanks for the reply nano.

checking up on the base of the stand revealed that the bottom inch or so of wood felt slightly thicker. I'm assuming this means that the wood has absorbed water and is in the process of breaking down? Would I be able to order those particular pieces of wood from red sea, instead of throwing down 200+ on a new stand all together?

zenzence

Man that really stinks! Yes I would get a hold of pinky at Red Sea I am sure she would be able to order you just the base of the stand.

Chad