Stand and Hood Project

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Update

Here's an update:

The stand, side cabinet, and canopy are all going to receive their final coat of poly...hopefully tonight. We used Maple to match the cabinets in the rest of the house. We special ordered the doors, and they should be here soon. The canopy will have crown attached once it is inside, and door fronts on the face. Right now they are on wheels to move them around the garage, so you can't tell how nicely they look put together.

Hope you enjoy the photo:

NaH2O

Contributing Member
LOL....not soon enough, IMO. This project has taken a very long time, but I think it will be well worth the patience. In the next few days we'll make the transition into the house and start on the plumbing. Thankfully, I have pretty much gathered all necessary equipment (minus lights as of now) to get it rolling.

Maxx

Looking great!!! Cant wait to see it all together.....
I noticed you had ordered the doors? Wish I'd have thought of that. Since I'm building my stand, I made the door also.....I had to be creative (read fix/adjust plans cause the origianl plan didnt work...) and while I don't think it will look bad....it won't look like I had planned originally. Keep us updated Nikki!
Nick

BoomerD

Dang! That's starting to look very nice! What's the schedule for you to deliver that to MY house! I can hardly wait! :D
I like the steel stand. Lots of strength, no warpage in case of (god forbid) any serious water leaks, and the maple really looks nice. Very well done project.

BigReepher

Wow! That's as strong a stand as you'll get, the side cabinet looks good too. I can't wait to see it all up and going. Keep us posted on your progress.:thumbup:

Curtswearing

Guys,

The pictures don't do it justice. The workmanship he put into the stand and side cabinet is outSTANDing. I can't wait to see that huge oceanic sitting on top of it in the living room.

Thank you for putting up this thread.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
LOL, Curt! *outSTANDing*....were you laughing at yourself as you typed that?? Thank you for the complement - I'm glad you were able to see it in person.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Finally in the house

Well, after a very long wait, I finally have my beast in the house. You have to remember this isn't finished, yet, but I wanted to get started on the plumbing. We are still waiting on the doors for the stand, side cabinet, and face of the canopy. There is also some crown and extra trim that needs to be applied. We really just wanted to put it together to see what it's going to look like. As of now, everything is perfectly level....of course we will be checking as things get added. The lights should be here by the end of the week, so they will be installed also.

Oh, and I went ahead and added some inhabitants. You didn't want me to stare at empty space, did you???

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Amazingly, despite their appearance, these guys are very happy. They are basically maintenance free. The tangs get along very well, and you can see the smiles on their faces. I thought I'd try the bare bottom tank for a short while, too.