Stand and Hood Project

NaH2O

Contributing Member
I just wanted to share with everyone the DIY project for my tank. The stand's frame is constructed of A500 Structural Steel - dimension of steel: 3" X 1.5" X 11 Ga (120 wall). The dimensions of the frame itself: 36" X 48" X 24"

Now, for all the engineers out there, I am condensing this structural analysis of the tank down - I'm just the peon here (hubby is the engineer), and don't really understand all of this but basically it comes down to: This frame can handle the stress of 2892 pounds per square inch....with a Factor of Safety = 24, which means it can hold 24 full tanks. When the weight was considered for figuring the stress, all of the rock, water, sand, inhabitants, canopy, everything was taken into consideration - it is safe to say this is pretty darn accurate. This frame is extremely level, and probably slight overkill...lol

The frame was then painted with Marine Topside...basically a yacht paint. Tabs were also welded on for the finished wood to attach. Here are some pictures....I have some of the side cabinet which will house the above the tank refugium, but since Santa hasn't delivered my digital camera yet, I have to wait for the pics on CD. I will post them as soon as I get them.

Hope everyone enjoys!

Attachments

• whole tank 10-24-2004.jpg
    whole tank 10-24-2004.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 136

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Here is some of the welding:

Attachments

• whole tank 11-01-04.jpg
    whole tank 11-01-04.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 131

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Looks GREAT Nikki!!! Can't wait to see it all set up! I don't think its overkill, its a piece of mind, that you know it won't give under the weight of the tank.

Craig Manoukian

How 'bout some wheels and an engine for that baby? Not kidding on the wheels thing, will make it easier to move idf you can find the right casters.

Very, very nice!

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

Maxx

How 'bout some wheels and an engine for that baby? Not kidding on the wheels thing, will make it easier to move idf you can find the right casters
"Cleaning is no problem on the Reef of the Future, Ladies!!! Just roll it back and vaccuum away!!!! You'll be amazed at how easy it is!!!"
LOL...what happens when I have too much coffee and too little sleep....mental disfunction.....sorry...
Seriously, I think this looks great! I'm just finishing up the stand for my upcoming 58 gallon so I can readily appreciate the effort that goes into this. BTW...mines not nearly as nice as yours is....
Good job,
Nick

wooddood

the wood dude
very nice job very nice.i agree its not over kill its peice of mind,and i like the caster idea hmmmm.thanks great job dave.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Thanks for the comments!! The stand may be almost perfectly level (within 1/32 of an inch I think), but I'm sure the floor is not. I'm anticipating having to shim the stand to keep the structural integrity. Craig, wheels...not a bad idea, in fact, I'll have hubby throw some on there, with a race engine, and who will need electricity? I'll have a mobile reef tank!

ReefLady

Staff member
Fantastic stuff, Nikki! Awesome.

The stand may be almost perfectly level (within 1/32 of an inch I think), but I'm sure the floor is not. I'm anticipating having to shim the stand to keep the structural integrity.

That's what happened to us. Our stand had to be shimmed because the floor in our 20-yo house is anything but level.

We also put a "rim" of that pink solid styrofoam insulation ("foamular", I think it's called) under the outside edges of the tank, where it rests on the stand. Just an added security to absorb any weight flux.

Thanks again for posting this!

swissgaurd

Very nice job

and on the wheel thing .there a great idea.but leveling becomes a problem.Get hubby to install jacking screws that will make it much easier to level.something to keep in mind use 6 jacking screws instead of 4.go with one inch threaded rod and plastic pads.stainless steel preferably to avoid the rust.

something to think about for the doors: make bifold doors for the front and make a door on each side for accesiblity.

Large doors can get in the way.

vic

NaH2O

Contributing Member
vic, we actually had considered putting on jacking screws, but decided we wouldn't need them. The house is only 2 years old, and really isn't that bad as far as being unlevel. We are anticipating only needing to shim a little bit. If we were in our old house, the jacking screws would have been a must!

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Re: Re: Stand and Hood Project

Originally posted by Reef Geek
WOWZA!!! That is awesome!!

Yeah, we didn't want to be close on the FOS...;)

The reasons we chose A500 was because we wanted something easy to weld, it was cheaper than square tubing, and it was cheaper than 60 wall.