Stalwarts first reef tank

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Looking great Mark!
thumb.gif

Stalwart

Lucy has no shame, she came out this morning with her curlers in her hair. :lol:

I call her Lucy, because when I get home something has always been rearranged and she has (in my best Ricky Ricardo voice) "Some splaining to do"

Urchin.jpg

ooops fogot the pic

Stalwart

Well I had my first casualty tonight. I was doing a little night time reef watching and was wondering were my cleaner shrimp was. He came slowly around the corner, although it was not under his own power he was dead, not only dead, but shell open and nothing inside. Not sure what happened, he was fine this afternoon. I pulled him out and he was just an empty shell.

List of suspects: :confused:

Anthias (not likely)
Me (possibly) I moved some rock in an attemp to get at some aiptasia
Crabs (possibly)(emerald and 2 sally lightfoots) never bothered him before

I am sad, he used to come and clean my hand when I was working in the tank, it was kinda cool. :tears:

Stalwart

Correction, bad ID. It was the coral banded shrimp that was dead, it sure looked like the cleaner all limp and empty.

Gina

RS STAFF
Are you sure he didn't just shed?
The first shrimp we ever had shed and I found his empty body and thought he was dead till I saw him a couple of days later.

Stalwart

I didnt think about that Gina, I looked pretty good but didnt see him, but I am sure if he is naked :bugout: , he is hiding pretty good. I will keep an eye out for him. Lets hope thats all it is. If so that will be twice I have pronounced him dead. What a newbie. :lol:

Stalwart

Billy, I do a 5 gal (10%) weekly, I guess maybe that is the case. It was the molt of my cleaner that I found, and this morning I found the molt of my Coral Banded. They are both still alive. Yeah.

Is there any signifigance to them both molting within a couple days of each other, is this an indication of some sort of water quality issue, good or bad?

lcstorc

My fire shrimp always molt within a day or two of each other. Never thought about why, but I have noticed the timing. It scared me the first time as well.
Glad everybody is still alive.

Stalwart

Thanks Lynn, me too.

Well UPS arrived at 1030, right on time, with my package from Pacific East Aquaculture. I decided that I will have to wait on my berghia experiment until a later date, school demands are too much right now for me to devote the time undertake this endeavor.

I ordered a couple peppermint shrimp to deal with the aiptasia issue for now. They are currently drip acclimating in a bucket. I tried to remove, by hand (gloved), the big colony on the back of the rock, but forgot to turn off the powerheads, and I am pretty sure now, there will be plenty of new blooms for these guys to eat. I probably should have left that thing alone. Stuff was flying all over the tank, dont know how much the skimmer got, but I am sure there was plenty of petal laceration as I manhandled that colony off the rock.

I also ordered a phosphate test kit and already did the test, a big fat 0phosphates in my tap water. Baltimore County is blessed with good tap water. I believe that the LFS uses the very same tap water in all its tanks with no issues.

Stalwart

OMG!!

Just for SH*&s and giggles, I put a small aiptasia, that was growing on a piece of substrate in the open, into the drip bucket and one of the shrimp went right over to it and pulled it all the way across the bucket. He is having a pretty good go at it right now. Cool :thumber:

lcstorc

Cool!
I watched one of my peppermints eat an aiptasia once. It was pretty cool to watch them at work.

Stalwart

Man it is a moltfest in my tank, I just pulled the molt out from one of my Sallys and the other has moved into position to start the shed.(hiding in the corner), only one left to molt is my Emerald.

Stalwart

It has been a good reef day.

Shrimp are acclimated and in. Once I put them in they were hiding on the back of a rock, so I took a mirror and lifted the backing on the tank to see them, and found a nice silver dollar sized blue ricordia hiding behind my rocks. I gathered it up and moved it to the front. Will photo later when he gets settled again.

:thumbup: