!st water tests.

matthias

Probably a dumb question,This is the 1st time I've tested my tank thats been running for roughly a month now.My nitrite reading was 0 as expected I suppose since I have nothing but rock in it yet.Anyways if the nitrite reading was 0 then would there be any reason to test for nitrate ?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Yea. U gotta test ammonia trites n trates. There's a good reason.

..........rarely am I speechless

BLADEYAMAHA

agcwelcome29.gif

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ay-post-pics-photobucket-nanoreefing4fun.html

Some good advice on the top "required" gear for our hobby! Even if you don't buy from them, the concepts are key...

http://kb.marinedepot.com/article.aspx?id=11119

bknapp

You really do need to check the three that dmatt88 stated, ammonia, nitrite and, nitrate. It's hard to know where you are in your cycle without knowing when/if you have had your ammonia and nitrite spikes which in turn lead to the nitrate spike. How are you cycling your tank? With live rock? Dead shrimp? Fish (hope not)?

matthias

Ya I did the dead shrimp and I have live rock I just thought that nitrates come after nitrite therefore if the nitrite reading was 0 then the nitrate would follow but now I see how that is not the case.

dmatt88

Ya I did the dead shrimp and I have live rock I just thought that nitrates come after nitrite therefore if the nitrite reading was 0 then the nitrate would follow but now I see how that is not the case.Special thanks to the hoosier named dmatt88 who was the 1st member of this org to welcome me aboard with a confirmation on just how stupid my question was.Your picture fits

I don't exactly take that as a complement however. Get the test kits dude. N ya the question wasn't stupid. Just newby.

bknapp

This might be a good read:
Nitrogen Cycle

Your nitrAtes won't come down naturally, that's were the big water change before your first fish comes in. Hope this helps.

matthias

Sure does, I just tested it and it's off the chart.So water change and some sort of treatment to
the new water thats added such as some kind of filter to the tap water that I use?

bknapp

In my opinion the first big purchase EVERY reefer should make is an RO/DI unit. You could also buy RO/DI water from your LFS. There are like 123 TDS (Total Dissolved Solids, which are not good in a reef in my tap) and the RO/DI takes it to 0 and also removes other harmful things such as chlorine.

JamesFitz

ABBBSOLUTELY!!! test for amonia as well as nitrates!!!! ASAP! for your future info, they now make very convenient cultures of nitrifying bacteria that are very efficient at cycling a tank within 1-3 days depending on the brand. in the intitial setup of any tank its goping to be extremely unstable and there will be a spike of ammonia and nitrites. remember, you want a safe amount of nitrates in your water....its the good bad stuff lol

I don't exactly take that as a complement however. Get the test kits dude. N ya the question wasn't stupid. Just newby.

Ha ha, roll off the sofa ha ha...........the op read your tag of 'rarely speechless' thinking it was part of your reply to them.

Still at least it wasn't.......'somewhere it is 5pm'

dmatt88

Ha ha, roll off the sofa ha ha...........the op read your tag of 'rarely speechless' thinking it was part of your reply to them.

Still at least it wasn't.......'somewhere it is 5pm'

I'm modifying my sign off to avoid future confusion.

..........this is called a sign off. Meant to amuse and entertain.