SS's nopox thread

Hi Shane,
Whilst No3 & Po4 levels are lower than those we recommend it is even more essential to dose Reef Energy, this ensures your Corals are fed whilst the Corals cannot feed on the waste of zooxanthellae check out our YouTube video for an in-depth explanation http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Qqx0SIJgEN8

That is what I thought. And I have watched the videos a few times already ;)

I actually have been feeding the tank with Reef Chilli from BRS for a while, but I have heard lots of positive things about reef energy so I plan to have that as a daily addition. I just wish it could be dosed with a dosing pump.

Quick update.

I am still on a .5ml dose. I checked Phosphates yesterday and they are now up to 0.04. This week is the week I normally skip my water change (I do 30 gallons month). I still plan to skip it unless my readings are through the roof this weekend. I will post my Nitrate and Phosphate numbers on saturday or sunday.

This thursday I will be starting Reef Energy A and B. Is there a best time of day to dose this? I normally do reef chili early in the morning because most of my SPS's have the best polyp extension during this time. However, I read an article yesterday that stated Coral tend to take in amino acids best during high lighting.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
That is what I thought. And I have watched the videos a few times already ;)

I actually have been feeding the tank with Reef Chilli from BRS for a while, but I have heard lots of positive things about reef energy so I plan to have that as a daily addition. I just wish it could be dosed with a dosing pump.

Hi Shane, it can, there are a couple of two bottle wine chillers on the market that would be ideal, failing that dose from a small container with 3 or 4 days energy in and then top up with your main bottles from the fridge, just remember you need to put the skimmer on a timer to switch off the same time you dose Reef Energy, at worst you may see the Energy go a little mouldy if it gets too hot (over 20c), this doesn't actuality effect the product it just looks unsightly hence us recommencing to keep it refrigerated.

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Hi Shane, it can, there are a couple of two bottle wine chillers on the market that would be ideal, failing that dose from a small container with 3 or 4 days energy in and then top up with your main bottles from the fridge, just remember you need to put the skimmer on a timer to switch off the same time you dose Reef Energy, at worst you may see the Energy go a little mouldy if it gets too hot (over 20c), this doesn't actuality effect the product it just looks unsightly hence us recommencing to keep it refrigerated.

Hi kev, are you saying you don't need to refrigerate it if your not concerned with it looking mouldy? If so cool.

Next up if you where to dilute it in RO water say a weeks worth in a 150ml bottle so that you could dose the correct amount per day but in a more diluted and easier time (say at night when corals are feeding) via a dosing pump wold that be ok?

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi kev, are you saying you don't need to refrigerate it if your not concerned with it looking mouldy? If so cool.

Next up if you where to dilute it in RO water say a weeks worth in a 150ml bottle so that you could dose the correct amount per day but in a more diluted and easier time (say at night when corals are feeding) via a dosing pump wold that be ok?

Ok, now the bad news, Reef Energy is the only product from the Reef Care Program that CANNOT be diluted with R/O water :cry1: sorry folks.

Well today the tank I think is finally starting to get dirty. I now see some algae growth on rocks and glass needs almost daily cleaning. I will post my phosphate and nitrate levels tomorrow. Still doing a .5ml dose

The cyno is driving me nuts. It's all over the sand and trying to creep up on the rocks. Hope it stops soon.

Ok I decided to do my normal water change regardless of what my testing shows.

Nitrates: 0.75
Phosphate: 0.03

I think these numbers are skewed though. A lot of my rocks that had white spots on them now have green/brown algae growing on them. Cyno is still a huge issue. When I did my water change I siphoned out all the cyno I saw. Literally 1 hour later the cyno showed back up. I plan to do another 5 gallons tomorrow which will be basically my sump being cleaned out (I do this once every 1-2 months).

With all this said should I bump my Nopox dose up?

What about lights out for 2-3 days to kill off the cyno?

slfcaptain

SS, I have been battling cyano too but this past week I think I got a handle on it. I used a brute force method against it by turkey basting and scrubbing any cyano I saw multiple times a day. The first few days I think I did this about a dozen times each day. My thinking is if you prevent the cyano from forming its biofilm then eventually it will die off and other organisms will fill the void left by the cyano. Its tedious but so far has worked for me, I am one week into this. Though, I am not sure how long I need to do this. I am kind of afraid if I stop then it will come back.

The last few posts in my 'controlling cyano via nitrate dosing' thread has pictures and a description of what I did. Ignore the nitrate dosing part. Once the cyano has stopped growing your nitrates and phosphates are likely to rise so you might have to adjust your nopox dosing.

steve

Thanks slfcaptain. I did read your thread.

02/15
Started Lights out in tank (10% water change). Cyno literally came back within a few hours :(

02/16
Did another 10% Water change. 5% was from the sump cleaning (took out all the detritus) and 5% from display tank (siphoned out cyano). Lights stayed off. I did forget to do my Nopox dose tho :(

02/17
Checked everything this morning with a flashlight. I still see cyano but it does look better. I did my nopox dose this morning. Will continue with lights out until tomorrow.

jimv

I have not been doing any manual removal while dosing with nopox. I have noticed some green algae starting to take over parts of the cyano but that's about it. Yesterday it appears the clownfish actually started to host with the cyano so I finally manually removed it with my water change and did another lights out. I hope that will knock it back. I also cranked the MP10 up to 90% from 50%. I tried it at 100% but it was running really hot.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Ok so as I have mentioned I have had my lights off for a few days because of the cyano. I came home from work today and took a peak. Most of the cyano is gone.

I tested nitrates and phosphates just now.
Nitrates 3-4ppm
Phosphates 0.07

My guess is that the cyano was masking my readings a bit. Or the cyano is dying and releasing it. I have been skimming very wet since the lights out to be safe.

So lights come back on tomorrow slowly towards the end of the day and will be back to normal the following day.

Redseakev should I bump my nopox dosage up?

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi Shane, yes, time to increase the No3Po4-X dosage, if dosing at 0.5ml take this up in increments of 0.5ml but leave 7 days between increasing the dosage, you will find the No3 will react pretty quickly, your target is 1 to 2ppm No3 and 0.08 to 0.1 Po4

Hi Shane, yes, time to increase the No3Po4-X dosage, if dosing at 0.5ml take this up in increments of 0.5ml but leave 7 days between increasing the dosage, you will find the No3 will react pretty quickly, your target is 1 to 2ppm No3 and 0.08 to 0.1 Po4

Thanks RedseaKev. Today I did my dose of 1ml and will keep that going until next week and go from there!

Grrrr. Came home and found the cyano back in the same spots. It's not as bad as it was. Guess I will continue to wait this out. Bumped my nopox dosage to 1ml as suggested by redseakev.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi Shane, your good to raise your Alkalinity now, Maximum is 1.4 per day but I'd go steady and raise 1.0 per day, small increase in No3Po4-X also needed, try 0.75ml for 7 days, you want your No3 at 1 to 2 ppm

Are you running any activated carbon ?? also what color is your skimate currently ??

I can't see the color green so I will have to post a pic of my skim. It's either green or brown. I am still skimming wet. I have to empty every two days.

I am running brs rox carbon.

Nopox Dose: 2ml. Stepped up to 2ml 2 days ago.
Reef Energy A+B: 4ml

Nitrates: 2.5 (best guess)
Phosphates: .07
Calcium: 400
Alk: 9dkh

Redslime seems to be slowing down. I am however dosing Zeo Coralsnow and Zeobak daily. Going to try this for 10 days. I am slowly bumping up my calcium and alk