SPS question

KittyKat

I purchased a one inch blue acropora frag (the guy called it a surf and sand not sure if thats really the name or not) and also one pink birds nest frag 1 inch frag. Im not sure if these corals will live in my tank or not. My tank is about 35-40 days old so im not sure if its done cycling. My water parameters are good. Alkalinity, calcium, nitrate are all good. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Woah. The odds are against you i am afraid. Time to find a new lfs? Did you tell the guy who sold it to you that your tank was new?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
My advice is do some research before purchasing your livestock and don't trust the LFS to provide you with proper info. SPS corals require a mature chemically balanced tank with proper lighting to survive and is not recommended for new setups !

KittyKat

Lighting: 250 watt mogul metal halide 20,000k and also a 54 watt actinic.

Powerhead: Koralia 3.

One 4 inch fan in the canopy.

Tempurature: 80 degrees all day long even with the halides running.

Protein Skimmer: AquaC Remora hang on the back with preskimmer overflow box.

My green bali slimmer has all of its hairy polyps out. Is that a good sign of health? All the tips on all 3 acro's are white, I read this is a sign of growth? Thanks everyone!

surfzone

A consistent 80 degrees isn't a bad temp I prefer a reef to be a little cooler in the 77 to 79 range. I'm not a big fan of the 20Ks just because it tends to be a little dark for my taste. White tips generally mean the beginning of bleaching, however if the tips are a pale color then it could just be a sign of growth.

KittyKat

Yeah I could keep it at 78 degrees but I dont want a flucuation in tempurature after my halides run for 8 hours. At the end of my halides running my temp will hit 81 degrees so I prefer a 1 degree flucuation vs a 3 degree. My heater is set at 80.

fatrip

How big is your tank? i would leave the temp where it is if yu have no way to keep the temp down during the day. also white tips on a A. Yongie is just the tips growing longer, but if this is happening to your birds nest or the blue A. then i would put them lower in the tank because that is usually a sign of bleaching for 95% of corals. If you are starting to add corals i would look into researching doseing methods of either some type of two part or Kalk. for now with just those corals you can get away with doing water changes to keep your Ca, Alk and Mag up. i think you will be aight as long as you keep on top of things, but it is usually a good idea to wait and research before you buy. good luck tho. oh and yes the polyp extention on the slimer is a good thing. :)