SPS in Oceanic 58 gallon w/hood - what type of lights?

thefuz

Hi all,

Picked up a used 58 Oceanic RR from a LFS and trying to figure out lighting. Pics of the current oak hood attached. I may have it modified by a carpenter to both raise it and carve out doors in the front. I'm planning on SPS but I'm still new to reefing so will definitely be taking it slow.

My question is - with SPS in mind, what should I consider for lighting in this hood? Going w/out a hood is not an option at this point (young & mischievous kids). I'll be adding fans to the top of the hood (120mm probably - got a few left over from a recent computer build) or possibly at the back opening and will have mesh over the water; not glass. I'd really like to avoid a chiller.

I'm guessing a full set of T5's is probably best for heat but will that be enough light? Also, I won't get shimmer with that - correct?

LED's still seem really new and not proven yet, but I imagine they may be the most economical over time with bulb replacements and wattage. I've seen a lot of DIY threads but it seems quite complex. The units from suppliers on the net seem really overpriced though. I also was talking with a LFS guy and he said LED's might have an issue with a lack of red and/or UV light for certain corals.

MH/T5 combo or MH alone (with blue bulbs - another LFS reco) will be pretty bad on the heat aspect, no?

Anyway, help is much appreciated!!

58-oceanic-2.jpg

58-oceanic-3.jpg

58-oceanic-1.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
that's going to be a sweet tank!!

As for "what light" if you're heart set on SPS then yes you'll want to pack as much "Light" into that hood as possible. Lighting is a very personal thing and where some people LOVE nothign but MH some people HATE them.

I've got a T5/MH combo unit over my 90g Reef tank and it's served me well but I probably wouldn't do it again. I've learned a lot since then and today I'd do either a very high output T5 system or one of the new LED units. If budget allows I'd do LED without a doubt.

If you go T5's you'll want to get high quality components and made SURE you use high quality Individual Reflectors. They make a HUGE difference in how much of the light you're producing gets down INTO the tank. Also you'll want to pack as many bulbs as you can across the tank without "spilling" excessive light into the room. There's no sense in spending the money and energy to make light only to light up the OUTSIDE of the tank.

thefuz

Thanks! I'm considering a TEK retrofit T5 but I won't be able to fit more than 4 in the current hood (only have 15" and the 6-light set requires 18" :( ). Will 4 lights be enough at a depth of 18"?

Alternately; I could try a pair of 250 MH like these plus a pair of T5's but I'm just so unsure on what type of heat to expect. The room is kept around 68 degrees in the winter and probably gets to 72 in the summer, though the A/C vent is nearly above the tank. I'm considering raising the hood another 6" and installing a pair of 120mm fans in the top. Still require a chiller?

LED's are tempting, but the cost of entry seems so steep and it doesn't look like they're quite a proven technology - let alone that they're still in Moore's Law land and will probably be so for quite a while longer.

Anyway, thanks again for the reply!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If 4 is all you can fit then 4 WILL work.

Don't give up on LED! It's more "proven" than many will admit. I saw an LED fixture 2 weeks ago (DIY unit) that's 6 years old and has done nothing to it since installing it. That's impressive to day the least!