Spots showing up on several corals-what to do next?

dianezoo

Coral nov 2012.jpgThis coral has opened up without any issues for months with some spots that looked like they were indiside the base.
they would show up in different places not statioary. Today the leather is not opening and this is what it looks like.
these spots are now also showing up on my fuzzy mushroom. Originally they just looked like small whitish spots on my red
mushroom. I didnt think much of it all corals were openieng and growing. But now it looks like some sort of infestation I have never seen. Can you advise me what it coulbe be and if any cure. My stuff is pretty attached throughout the tank. Hope someone has suggestions or assurance. !! dianeCoral nov 2012.jpg

Last edited:

BLADEYAMAHA

Flatworms Diane. :) Use Flatworm exit, use accordingly, may remove corals to treat, use Coral RX on corals as a dip.

dianezoo

Nope they are not flat worms I can blow them off with a turkey baster and I put one under the magnifyer and they are not worms. more like rust color dots.(My microscope is not working right the light is broke so I cant identify the nature of this. I have a fairy wrass in my tank I dont know if they would eat parasitic things(?) adding a diff. wrass may not be compatable. I siphoned off 1/5 of my tank sucking out as many of these areas as I could. I suspect it could be bacterial. I think I might try Boydes Chemiclean\What do you think ? The directions say to turn off the skimmers and add an air stone, and change the water after a day. There is some cyano on the gravel and on some rocks. I appreciate the link (I was most interesting), but not any ahhas there I could relate to this This may take some further investigation. I'll start with water quality I'll post my params as soon as I take them.

dianezoo

Thanks steve and Bladeyamaha, Yes thanks for your input it is planaria. To the eye they dont look like worms you correctly identified it's planaria worms. I've got a pethora of planaria! I also have a cyano so I did a water change. Sucked off the worms as i could. I think I will look for a coris wrass. And hope he gets along.If pulling out the planria by hand and the wrass dosent bring them under control I'll use the try the chemical as last resort. IIt's possible that my cyano is cause by them dieing. I hope I got this in time.
Rgards Diane

steved13

PREMIUM
I have a yellow coris wrasse in my tank, and I had a Solon Fairy wrasse, I never saw them bother each other. The fairy wrasse dis appeared one day and haven't seen him since but I don't think the coris wrasse had anything to do with it.

The Yellow coris is a nice fish, very active and eye catching.

If you have no desirable worms in the tank IE: feather dusters, coco worms, christmas tree worms, etc...I would try Dr G's dewormer food. Just as it sounds it is a food for deworming fish. I tried it as a preventitive a few times with my fish. I used to have a lot of bristle worms, and afterwards I had none. I don't know if it would work with flat worms or not, but it can't hurt, and might work great. I don't even know that it wasn't some kind of coincidence with the bristleworms, but I think the food did the trick.

I don't like bristleworms so I was happy, some folks love them so this wouldn't be for them. :)

dianezoo

Thanks steve and Bladeyamaha, Yes thanks for your input it is planaria. To the eye they dont look like worms you correctly identified it's planaria worms. I've got a pethora of planaria! I also have a cyano so I did a water change. Sucked off the worms as i could. I think I will look for a coris wrass. And hope he gets along.If pulling out the planria by hand and the wrass dosent bring them under control I'll use the try the chemical as last resort. IIt's possible that my cyano is cause by them dieing. I hope I got this in time.
Rgards Diane

Ashr

I would also say flatwarms :) That was the first thing I thought when I seen the pictures. Good luck!