Splash on fixture

I bought my fixture today, Aquaticlife T5 HO.. I really love the lights.

I'm running with no cover, and I have a HOB power filter that produces a good amount of spray that is collecting on the splash guard of the fixture.

Is this safe? I really don't want to put a glass cover on the tank, but I don't want to damage my lighting either...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
that's what the splash shield is for. You just need to be diligent about cleaning it off because "Salt Spray" really cuts down on the amount of light entering the tank. This would hold true for glass top too.

When I came home from work tonight and checked my lights, the splash guard was COVERED in salt...

This just isn't going to work. I don't want a cover, and I don't need all that build up. The power filter here is the culprit...

I was going to wait awhile before messing around with a sump, but now it would be really nice to have..

Time to go get an overflow box :)

Last edited:
Powerfilters gotta go!

Yep.. What I've done for now is replace the Marineland Emperor with a Pengiun that I had been using for a 20g tank. No splash now. I think it's because the Emperor just dumps the water back in the tank, and the Pengiun puts it in more at an angle.

I was thinking that I could get an overflow box, run a pipe down to a my 20g tank, have the larger filter running down there, and then pipe that back up. Not much of a sump I know, but I'm just starting out...

Bad idea? I really would like to go to a Berlin type sump. I'm assuming then I wouldn't need a filter at all?