Specific Gravity Creeps Up ????

tomm9298

My salinity keeps rising. I am not adding any salt to the top off water. I have checked it after water changes, newly cycled tank, and it will be dead on for a few days. Then BAM, it's on the high side again. Any suggestions will appreciated.

Jason25

It's creeping up due to water evaporating, the salt does not evaporate but the water does. Just keep topping off with fresh water it's nothing to worry about happens to us all.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'd suggest more frequent top-offs. If I skip a day mine will creep up as well. Like mentioned above, only Fresh Water evaporates leaving the salt in the existing water pushing your SG higher. Then you top off with FW and it drops back down. Rapid changes (up or down) in salinity are hard on your tank. If daily (or more) top-offs are out of the question look into an Auto Top Off (ATO) system.

tomm9298

I am running without the glass tank covers in place. I guess I top off twice a week. I let it drop about 1 inch then top off, maybe 2 gallons. Oh, it's a 65 gallon tank. I keep the temp between 76.1 and 77.4. This is really more difficult than my 125 freshwater tank........

Jason25

A 2 gallon evaporation will have your salinty go up and like Al stated when you add fresh water it will go back down. You want to minimize this swing as it can shock your fish and corals. As was suggested eith use an ATO or top off more frequently.

wonderloss

The increase is probably from evaporation, as mentioned. I cannot think of anything else off the top of my head. A good way to check would be to measure salinity before and after top off. I am not sure when you are making the measurement.

It is more difficult than fresh water, but it is very rewarding.

Octoman

What are you measuring you salinity with?

If you are using a swing arm hydrometer, make sure you rinse it in FW after each use. Otherwise, you build up a little more salt on the arm each time that could cause your salinity reading to "creep".

framerguy

If you are only topping off every three days that's not nearly enough. When you do top off the salinity is changing too fast and stressing your inverts. Top off everyday or better yet get an ATO.

Cougra

If you are using the swingarm style hydrometer, when doing a water change make sure you do a comparison between the water in the tank and the makep water and mix the water to match. At best they are only good to help with consistancy, not with accurate SG readings like a refractometer would give you.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Salt water does take more dedication and hands on time but once you get into a routine it's not bad at all. Hang in there :)

goldenmean

An ATO is your best bet.
Otherwise you should top off twice a day.
Once in the morning and once in the evening.

spanglish

An ATO is your best bet.
Otherwise you should top off twice a day.
Once in the morning and once in the evening.

C'mon! Really??

I think if you do the math, the amount of impact on salinity in a 65
gal tank caused by daily topoff is a proverbial drop in the bucket.

My 90g w/30g sump has shown no problems with topping off as much
as 4 gallons at a pop.
Yes, I should top off more regularly, but twice a day is a little "OCD"
if you ask me.:look:

Do trash the swing arm and get a hydrometer.

Also, just for grins, see how much swing there is in your SG as evaporation
occurs. I think you'll find that it takes alot of evaporation to really cause
a significant change in your salinity.

funkpolice

I wanted to buy a refractometer at a fish store and the guy working there, who also works at the shedd aquarium, said that at the aquarium they use swing arm hydrometers. He said he would sell me one if I wanted, but it would be a waste. Do you think that because the reef tank there is over 750,000gal that the salinity just never changes, and they don't need an accurate measurement? Thats my guess.
bill

ReefGuy69

Yeah with 750,000 i doubt they get much swing in their salinity if they are keeping up with regular maintenance. or they dont have a clue what their doing. I would recommend a refractometer. I didnt realize how uselful they were until just recently when i got one. My swing arm was so unrealible. Each time i use it i get a slightly different reading and thats because tiny little micro bubbles can cause a mis reading. With a refractometer you can get a right on reading each and every time. And they are so easy to use. Yeah it may be $50 as opposed to the $10 swing arm. but it will pay for itself the first time you do a water change. Just my opinion. hope it helps.

Octoman

I wanted to buy a refractometer at a fish store and the guy working there, who also works at the shedd aquarium, said that at the aquarium they use swing arm hydrometers. He said he would sell me one if I wanted, but it would be a waste. Do you think that because the reef tank there is over 750,000gal that the salinity just never changes, and they don't need an accurate measurement? Thats my guess.
bill

I would be willing to bet that they use some 24 hour monitoring equipment at the Shedd that is a little more advanced than swing arm hydrometers. If I were you, I would steer clear of any more advice from that guy...

funkpolice

I think I'm gonna talk to another person I know that works at the aquarium and see what they say. Not that it really matters but I'm curious now about their maintnance procedures. I've seen their filtration system and it is unbeliveable. Looks like a parking garage full of missles.
bill