Source for lettuce nudi's?

Creekview

Have a client with a neglected system, lots of runaway algae growth. A tank teardown is out of the question due to a bunch of circumstances, one being all the rock has been epoxied into one massive piece. I just ordered a monster cuc from reefcleaners. A series of water changes and a thorough substrate vacuuming is in process. Algae scrubber going in next week. I've used lettuce nudi's in the past to deal with bryopsis, which is rampant in the tank. I'm looking for a reliable source for half a dozen. Saltwaterfish.com has them, but limit one. Thatpetplace.com shows they have them cheap, no limit. Challenge is I've never bought from them, and they seem to have mixed reviews. Suggestions?

Mike Johnson

I'm maybe stating the obvious, but, you'll have to cover water pumps and the overflow. Lettuce aren't the smartest and crawl into bad places. Clean algae off the pumps and overflow teeth so they are less tempted to get into them. And, I'm a big fan of Live Aquaria.

Creekview

I'm just gonna run a skimmer for now. There isn't much left in it, some palys and GSP, some zoas. One very nasty tomato clown that's determined to eat me every time I put my hand in. There are lots of pods and inverts of various kinds. I'm hoping to preserve what I can and build it back up over time. Tomato clown is going for a ride in the country if he keeps biting me.....:)

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Ive used Live aquaria, I've used That Pet place.com. No issues with either.

Creekview

I've used live aquaria, they just have such a high free shipping threshold. Had mixed experiences. Sent me dead anemones more than once.

Surfnut

I've never had luck with Lettuce Nudi's: Too fragile. A large Sea Hare will clear the tank in no time. Then switch to a few dwarf sea hares once the bryopsis has been cleared. They will keep all nuisance algae at bay. If the amount of algae drops too low take 1 or 2 dwarfs out of the tank. In the end I had 2 dwarves handling my 120g.

Snid

I have a couple of Lettuce Nudis, which are actually slugs by the way... I like them, but not for their efficiency, mostly just their looks. I'd go another route, like maybe the aforementioned Sea Hare. Maybe a Sea Urchin or two? I've been reading where some of them eat Bryopsis, which might explain why I have none as I have both Lettuce Nudis and a Longspined Sea Urchin. Anyways... My Urchin is a lawn mowing beast, always plowing through and eating Algae.

Surfnut

Lettuce Nudi are fun to look at: I have to give you that. Mine always ended up in the powerheads is all.

Snid

Just a heads up, as I became curious... After further research, it is not likely that a Longspined Sea Urchin will eat Bryopsis.

Side Note: A lot of people get concerned that LongSpined Sea Urchins eat Coralline Algae, but I have found that the Coralline Algae in my tank is growing faster than the Urchin eats it, and he much prefers the GHA and other Algae that people tend to not like in their tanks. I love my Urchin and would recommend one to anyone because they are amazing to watch and they are efficient at helping out.

Creekview

I have about a dozen spiny urchins in my system. They do a good job on the glass, and are all over the rock. They don't eat any of the other macroalgae in the tank, of any kind. Don't seem to bother coralline, but keep the rocks otherwise pretty clean except where stuff grows.

reefer gladness

Just a heads up, as I became curious... After further research, it is not likely that a Longspined Sea Urchin will eat Bryopsis.

Side Note: A lot of people get concerned that LongSpined Sea Urchins eat Coralline Algae, but I have found that the Coralline Algae in my tank is growing faster than the Urchin eats it, and he much prefers the GHA and other Algae that people tend to not like in their tanks. I love my Urchin and would recommend one to anyone because they are amazing to watch and they are efficient at helping out.

Having battled bryopsis before I'd have to agree, the urchin isn't going to help. Tuxedo urchins will eat anything a long-spine urchin will eat but they're easier to pick up ;)

I always lol when hearing about worries of urchins eating coralline algae. Don't worry! It's a good thing! Just maintain water chemistry and coralline will keep growing faster than it can be eaten.

FYI, I used Kent Tech-M successfully to eradicate bryopsis - which was replaced soon after by red turf algae. Talk about a PITA! Try finding something that eats red turf algae... and the stuff literally grows in 3 dimensions so it expands at an exponential rate compared to bryo.

Creekview

Once I deploy the scrubber I usually see a decrease in tank algae. I'm going to get a couple of lettuce and let them help. He wants a zoa garden with an in tank macro garden. Won't be but one or two fish, with a pretty low flow. He wants low maintenance, and I think I can get it under control.