Soooo....what are you guys using for cameras?

Uslanja

That is so sweet! Outstanding photos and we like your choice of body! We're going to have to get some macro filters!!! Any recommendations?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Not cheap... but one of the best you can get by far is the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM 1-to-1 Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras

Uslanja

Hi nanoreefing4fun! Right on with the above lens, but that is wish material on our budget! But it sure is nice to stop in and stare at the Canon L Series lens!

Hi nanoreefing4fun! Right on with the above lens, but that is wish material on our budget! But it sure is nice to stop in and stare at the Canon L Series lens!

Ya, the 100mm L is rediculous. They are selling it on Adorama.com for $944.00 right now. Umm, to be honest, I went to amazon.com typed in Macro filters and bought them for $13.00!

Angel Fin

You guys are awesome.......any question at all.......your there!

Those pics were absolutely marvelous!!!!!!!!!!!Apparently you are all nearly as passionate about your cameras as you are about your tanks!!!!!!!
I guess maybe one thing leads to another........& your appreciation for beauty does not stop with reefing.... soooooo, are you gardeners too!!!!
I'm expecting a resounding "YES" on that one too!!!!!

Uslanja

Hi Angel Fin! Absolutely; YES, YES, YES!!!! Flower, vegetable and several woodland trails and then down to our meadow. And guess what; we're always out there taking pictures as well! We are blessed!

Uslanja

Hey Wakeskater02! Just checked out your blog. Very nice! You are very talented! We booked marked it and will be checking up with you often!

TonyT

I also have a Cannon XSI that I use but need to get a macro for it. It is a great camera and produces some fabulous shots. If you are looking to get a good camera I would suggest getting one these; The XSI, XT, or XS are all nice and fairly easy to use IMO.

Tony

BLAKEJOHN

BlakeJohn, what lens is that?? My macro lens wont shoot that close (could be operator error)

If I told ya Id have to eliminate you.

I used a 15-55 kit lens with a home made ext tube. The ext tube is the rear lens cap and body cap glued together and then a 3/4" hole driled in the center. With this ext tube I have no apature control, The apature is allways wide open (hence the supper shalow DOF).

Hey Wakeskater02! Just checked out your blog. Very nice! You are very talented! We booked marked it and will be checking up with you often!

Thanks! I need followers! I just went to a friend's house today and shot his tank for him. As you can see some of his corals are utterly rediculous. I wish I could change my picture for the contest, as I just took a bunch of pictures today!

Here is the one I wish I would have used for the LPS POTM contest... And YES, it is really that color! NO COLOR EDITING!

IMG_2463.jpg

Here are a couple others... I bet some of the people on here haven't even seen this stuff before!
RukisBubbleTip.jpg

IMG_2443.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

Again, Hope you enjoy! Don't forget to check out my blog!

sambrinar

You guys are awesome.......any question at all.......your there!

Those pics were absolutely marvelous!!!!!!!!!!!Apparently you are all nearly as passionate about your cameras as you are about your tanks!!!!!!!
I guess maybe one thing leads to another........& your appreciation for beauty does not stop with reefing.... soooooo, are you gardeners too!!!!
I'm expecting a resounding "YES" on that one too!!!!!

Thanks for the info BlakeJohn... my macro lens is a 30mm. I can't figure out how to get those really really close shots. I was just looking at the 50mm and the 100mm macro lenses for my camera they are quite a pretty penny 400 bucks and up

and Wake... what's your lens??? Gorgous pictures

LOL YES... and I love nature shots... like this....

IMG_3204.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg

luisgo

I have a Nikon D60 DSLR with a 18-125mm zoom lens. Also I have a manual Nikkor 105 mm AIS macro lens for close ups. For even closer shots I use a set of Kenko extention tubes.

I think that what camera or lenses you have is only 25% in the equation to take good pictures. The other 75% are the technics. Things like taking photos perpendicular to the glass to avoid distortion, use of a tripod, knowledge of speed and depth of field, etc. are more important.

Here are some of my photos.

Luisgo Aquariums

BLAKEJOHN

Actually its probly closer to 25% technique any more. Your sensor and quality of glass will make a great deal of impact on the quality of your photos. Granted your technique is what will make your photos appealing and that comes with experience.

Okay, Okay....I will share my secret, but you guys promise you can't laugh! AHAHAHAHAHA!

Here is exactly what I use!

Body - Canon T1i 15.1 MP DSLR $700.00
ICADRT1IKR.jpg

Lens - 18-55mm $100.00
CA1855AFU.jpg

Filter - Close up Macro Filter Kit $13.00
51PgrFmAHTL_SS500_.jpg

From here it is all about learning the specific functions and settings of your camera!

Using these setting I shot a buddies tank two days ago... Here are a couple of pictures from the shoot.
RukisFTS.jpg

RukisBubbleTip-1.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

IMG_2464.jpg

I have pictures of some super rare chalices that he is selling, but I don't have them here. I'll post them later... Hope you enjoy... his tank makes my head...:turntable !

I picked up a set of them too... just to play with :)

what one or combo did you use for your 2nd shoot?

It depends upon the subject, distance and settings of what I am trying to shoot (Lighting, distance, depth of field...etc...). The Full Tank Shot - lens configuration was set up much different than the R/G-BTA setup.

But let's say for example the BTA picture... The Macro filters are actually stacked together so, I am actually magnifying the subject 40x my normal 18-55mm lens zoom. That is how I can get so close to the subject, I also shoot in manual or "M" mode, so that I have full control off all the settings the camera has to offer.

One thing I always do is take a rediculous amount of photos. I probably took 50 shots of the FTS, just so I made sure to get the shot. It is always better to over shoot your subject rather than undershoot and miss the shot!