something on my fish!

Talon33

i have a 10 gallon tank, i have 3 juli corydoras and one is acting funny and it has a white mold on it. what is this, how can i treat it, will it spread to my other corydoras or neon tetras. i do 20 percent water changes every week so my water quality is good help please!

lbiminiblue

could be lymphocystis, can you post a pic? and is the fish dying? I'm not too sure about FW diseases, but it could be ick

lbiminiblue

Alright. And cory's are the ground feeder catfish- type fish right? I remember having them and them being very hardy.

Talon33

yes they are...They are very hardy...When I first got my tank i didnt do my research and just dumped them in there and they made it through the cycle thankfully, but i have had them for about 4 months and this is the first problem to arise but im going to my LFS and getting some antifungal meds hopefully that will do the trick

jerry26

If its freshwater and its ick, increase the water temp to 82 and put plenty of things for them to hide inside of and dose it with ick medicine. May look like little grains of salt stuck to them?

Talon33

No Jerry it kinda looks like cotton fibers on its side. From what i can gather its related to things such as fin rot and mouth fungus. It just beats me how it got in there when I do weekly water changes and test water often. Oh well. I currently have API fungus cure in there and have removed charcoal from filters, going to do another water change tomorrow and add charcoal back and give it a second dose in a couple of days.

lbiminiblue

they're not clumpy spots right? IDK If brooklynella affects FW fish. It doesn't sound like lympho. But there is no known cure for lympho other than good diet and stress free environment

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
It really sounds like either FW Velvet or a fungi infection. either way, Raise tank temp to 82, do good water change, and consider treating with Antibiotics. DO NOT USE Formalin based medicines. If its Velvet or Fungi, the fish will have open wounds. Open wounds+ Formaline = rapid death.

PEMfish

Its a fungal infection. Treat with Pimafix or other such drug.

Fin and tail rot is a bacteria. This is not what you have, you will see the destruction of the fin / tail with the edge bright red.

Rasing water temp will lower oxygen levels, be careful with that.

biss

mythane blue is good for exterierinfections and fungus .do you add any aquarium salt to your water.

Talon33

Update on how the treatment went. Unfortunately i was not able to save my julii cory that had the fungus on it but i was able to save everyone else in the tank and no signs of anymore fungus. I treated with API fungus cure, it was a green powder thanks for the help everyone!