Somebody just slap me!

tbittner

I have an RBTA that lived under 10k for about a month and seemed happy. Then I switched to 14k and it seems just as happy. 14k gives a nicer, subtle blue color to your tank. 10k looks like real sunshine, yellowish. Depends on your preference. Either would make the anems happy.

PEMfish

Depends on your preference. 12000k is a good happy medium if you aren't sure. Do you have supplementive actinics? Also, MH is a specialized circuit, you cant just slap a MH bulb in any fixture.

tbittner

Very true Paul, but from what I'm learning about the 400w variety, the electronic ballasts seem to support any bulb, including mogul and double ended bulbs, all with the same ballast.

I did read somewhere, at one of the ballast manfuctures site, that the 12k bulbs aren't very stable. But that might be because they didn't build support for that bulb into their ballast.

I wish I could drop $100 on lighting right now, but I can't. What about moving them into a really shallow tank where they will be very close to the light?

Yet you had near that or more to buy the anemones.....

Thats like buying a dog for a few hundred dollars then saying the next day that you have to get rid of him because you cant afford a 10 dollar bag of food.

Seriously, what is your point of this thread?

DewDropPony

Yet you had near that or more to buy the anemones.....

Seriously, what is your point of this thread?

The anemones where nowhere near $100. The were $6. That's a *big* difference! Yes, I know it was a mistake and I'm already said it won't happen again. So you can stop bashing me.

The point of this thread was to get advice about what to do with them. Yes, like the advice to buy better lighting. It was a good suggestion, but I can't drop that much on lighting right now. Finding another home for the anemone is a good suggestion also, and fortunately for them, I did find a different store that will take them in. But to just come here to attack me without offering and helpful advice is not good for anyone.

prow

good stuff DewDropPony. your 100% right, a hard lesson learned is still a lesson learned. you reacted well and in the end everything turnned out for the better. glad you found a LFS to take them.

but, in all fairness, keep in mind, you did name the thread "Somebody just slap me!" :smck: HEHEHE, your just getting what you asked for, slapped :banghead: ..................................:laugh:

FateX8

sorry, but im a bit confused
the nem in question is a condy...a fairly low light anemone
ive kept them sucessfully under normal flourescents, and when i mean sucessfully i mean splitting and thriving for ~2 years and could have gone longer if i didnt tear the tank down
and why are you people talking about light spectrum? that has absolutely nothing to do with keeping anything that requires higher amounts of light, its light intensity that matters
spectrum is mainly for aesthetics, anything in the 5000-20000k range will stimulate photosynthesis
but with you inexperience, i wouldnt go recommending you keep the condy
do some research first before buying anything
and before you go attacking me, i have been in this hobby 10+ years (i know its not long but i started asap), i have a degree in marine biology and aquaculture. this may be your hobby but this is my life

prow

hummm, sorry to say but your a little off on your lighting spectrums. having a degree in marine biology i thinks safe to say "PSI absorbs energy most efficiently at 700 nm and PSII at 680 nm. Light with a high proportion of energy concentrated in these wavelengths will produce a high rate of photosynthesis." also chlorophyll b, c, d, and e found in algae and protistans, xanthophylls, and carotenoids absorb spectrums that chlorophyll "a" does not/can not absorb for energy. i do agree overall photosynthesis is all about intensity, but different spectrums stimulate different growths as seen in certain algaes.

this from here Advanced Aquarist Feature Article - February 2002
Researchers have addressed light quality and its effects on zooxanthellae and coral growth. Perhaps the most interesting is a paper by Kinzie et al. (1984); they presented evidence that corals grown more rapidly under blue and white light of the same intensities (~12% of solar Photosynthetically Active Radiation - PAR, ~250 µMols·m2·sec, or 10,000 lux) than under "green" or "red" light of equal intensities. These scientists used clear or colored acrylic filters and natural sunlight. The blue filter transmitted wavelengths of ~ 400 to 500 nm and the clear filter (transmission quality not shown in the paper) likely was a fair representation of sunlight (although most acrylics attenuate all wavelengths but tend to decrease violet and blue disproportionately). "Blue" light is suggested to have some rather "magical" properties - it has been noted to increase rates of protein synthesis in some algae, as well as cause shifts in photosynthetic pigment concentrations in zooxanthellae. Blue light has also been reported to increase rates of photosynthesis (Kinzie and Hunter, 1987). Are spectral characteristics of "blue" metal halide lamps sufficient to promote photosynthesis more efficiently in zooxanthellae of captive corals?

Unfortunately, the spectral qualities of light transmitted by these researchers’ filters only faintly resemble those of lights used over aquaria. It is a leap of faith to apply the results obtained under filtered sunlight to artificial light sources, which have spectral spikes. However, this has not stopped many from interpreting that higher Kelvin lamps are best for promoting photosynthesis in corals.
i put the last part in here mainly so no one goes off the deep end here.

Briang

I also love my anemonies. I divided it into 2 myself and except imediatley after division they have not moved in 1-1/2 years. 355 watts PC. light
fishgallery-1-1.jpg

Last edited:

FateX8

but thats also why you cant have anemones under no flourescent lighting
if spectrum was the key role in keep nems alive then youd see a LOT more people attempting nems, im not saying spectrum doesnt have an important role im just saying intensity is more important, THEN spectrum after but like you said certain algaes "specialize" in certain spectrums

Briang

Sorry for big pic. Can somebody tell me how to send small pic. then when you click on it, it enlarges?

prow

if spectrum was the key role in keep nems alive then youd see a LOT more people attempting nems, im not saying spectrum doesnt have an important role im just saying intensity is more important, THEN spectrum after but like you said certain algaes "specialize" in certain spectrums
yup i was pointing out its not so black and white.

this though i have to disagree with, in past years i agree. but today, T5's do and have tested to be every bit as intense as MH.

prow

Sorry for big pic. Can somebody tell me how to send small pic. then when you click on it, it enlarges?
dont be sorry, its a sweet pic:D

to put a thumb nail i think you have to it via attachments from your comp. but i could be wrong:faces: