Some well needed guidance required

jkef2010

I should of asked this before starting but I just assumed which I should not have, when cycling a tank do you,or don't you use carbon?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Carbon is good once your tank is "set". During a cycle, I like to let it get nice and stinky through the cycle. Then do a 25% and a week later do a 30-40% water change to clea everything up and get a good bio filter going. After that, you can/should run carbon to keep the water clean.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Fav cycle method = Dead shrimp(1 per 50g) + pumps/heaters going + Powerheads going + Lights off + Skimmer off + Reactors/dosers Off. Even with 90% dry rock the tank will cycle in 4-5 weeks.

mikecc

Fav cycle method = Urinate in tank + pumps/heaters going + Powerheads going + Lights off + Skimmer off + Reactors/dosers Off. Even with 90% dry rock the tank will cycle in 4-5 weeks.

Oxylebius

Fav cycle method = Urinate in tank + pumps/heaters going + Powerheads going + Lights off + Skimmer off + Reactors/dosers Off. Even with 90% dry rock the tank will cycle in 4-5 weeks.

That is one way to add ammonia I suppose. :ponder2:

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I'm sorry, but peeing in the tank is crazy. Yes there is ammonia in urine, but also other stuff that's not good for the tank. Stick to raw shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using misspelled wrods!