some general questions

just starting out. I have a 90g glass tank (not drilled) that I used for a freshwater tank a few years back. Should I even bother messing around drilling this one or should I do what I want and get a 150g acrylic that is reef ready? If I do how easy do they scratch - I have two kids under 3 :)

dobejazz

Welcome to RS!

Was the 90g ever medicated with a copper based medicine? As far as Acrylic and kids the only ones to scratch mine have been me and my husband my daughter hasn't harmed it at all

Welcome to RS!

Was the 90g ever medicated with a copper based medicine? As far as Acrylic and kids the only ones to scratch mine have been me and my husband my daughter hasn't harmed it at all

I have no clue about the copper? All I remember was treating for ick - at least I think that was what it was called. It has been a good 5 years since I had a tank going. Lots of reading to do.

My son likes his matchbox cars and seems to think they should drive on anything except the floor.

prow

just starting out. I have a 90g glass tank (not drilled) that I used for a freshwater tank a few years back. Should I even bother messing around drilling this one or should I do what I want and get a 150g acrylic that is reef ready? If I do how easy do they scratch - I have two kids under 3 :)
:wave: welcome, may you have smooth return the hobby:D

as for your question, thats a no-brainer, save some time and money go for the 150gal your going to get later anyway. save your self having to deal with upgrading everything. the tank is the cheapest part.

i just upgraded from a 120gal acrylic to a 180gal glass. for two reasons. one, yes acrylic scratches easy, it bows over time and doesnt "breath" like glass. two, acrylic also acts as a insulator traping heat. something to think about if you live were is gets hot and use MH, increases the possiblity of needing a chiller:)

lcstorc

I don't think I would try to drill the existing tank. You can always use an external overflow if you want to reuse the 90g.
Bigger is better in this hobby but a 90g is a pretty nice starter size. If you have the money and space to go bigger then great. Personally I prefer glass but there are some pretty cool acrylics out there as well.

thanks for the advice - I guess I need to read even more about glass vs acrylic tanks. I am 80% sure I am building this into a wall/half wall so I might be able to do something about supporting it better. I am leary on the glass mainly due to the weight of the tank. My 90g is heavy enough!

zy112

I say def go with the 150 if you got the money. You'll always want bigger later so might as well go big the first time.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Of course but that would be a HUGE fuge/sump but sure you can do it.

Sump = tank with high flow.. good for hiding equipment (return pump, heaters, skimmer etc)
Fuge = Tank with slow flow and usually some type of Mico-Algae to aide in nutrient removal and allow a safe haven for beneficial "Pods" to grow

They can be built in a way that ONE tank provides a sump and a FUGE in the same unit!!! :)

BoomerD

A couple of thoughts...First of all, if you build it into the wall, once you get it in place, the weight won't be a factor as long as you build the stand to support it properly. (remember to figure 10 lbs/gallon to account for all equipment, water, sand, etc.)
Next, since you treated for ich, you MAY have used copper...or not. Without knowing what medication you used, it's difficult to say. Personally, based on my years in the hobby, as long as you scrub the tank well, any residual copper should be a non-issue.
Since you already know you want a larger tank, why not go that route and use the 90 gallon for a sump? That'd give you plenty of water volume, lots of room for quality equipment like a skimmer, and even room to add a refugium is you choose.