Solaris 400 watt I series

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I had 2 bulbs out in a strip on my new I4. I called PFO and the new strip was here in 3 days. My understanding is that the components of this fixture are manufactured in different parts of the world, to insure that quality parts go into these fixtures, then shipped to China for assembly. Quality control may not up to par, but PFO Lighting stands behind the product.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
hmmmmm, I was just over at solarisled.com reading some more about them and it sounds like people are having a fair amount of trouble with them. Whole strings of LED's going out, and then needing to wait weeks for replacement strings. Faulty/flaky power supplies where the lights turn off every ten minutes. Stuff like that. Of course, it's not many people and of course, the only ones posting are the ones having problems, but it really makes me wonder about the quality of these lights....

Most of those issues you were reading about is when the 400 Watt system first came out the Power supplies did have issue because they were not powerful enough. That issue was addressed very effectively.

As Scott mentioned the new I series is having LED issues. It appears from speaking with the engineers that they got bad LED in the new 30% Brighter White ones they are resolving that issue currently.

Aqua Pro

I have had the Solaris I4 for about 6 weeks. I love it! Plain and simple. It is a possibility that the white LEDs could be too bright, however, the intensity can be adjusted with the push of a button, from 0% white LED to 100% white. Also the blue LEDs are adjustable in the same way and the blue/white adjustments are independent of each other. Take a look at this link for my review and pictures. I have had no bleaching. In fact my corals look better! I slowly increased the White LED intensity over a 6 week period.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/15694-dentoids-reeforama-83.html#post355162

What's the wattage of the light and what's the length of the light you have?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
What's the wattage of the light and what's the length of the light you have?

The Solaris I4 has a PAR output equal to a 400W/15K MH and the white LEDs produce 80 lumens/watt.

The Calvin temperature is adjustable from 6.5K-22K.

tbittner

Now for the thousand dollar question... :D

Would you spend that kind of money for a Solaris if you had a chance to do it all over again?

(now that you've had some time with it)

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Yes I would because a chiller is not needed and the savings in the electricity alone is worth the initial cost. I can't speak for SPS tanks, but for the specimens in my tank it's working out great.

Aqua Pro

I am looking at buying these lights, I am in the process of getting together my equiptment for my new 360 gallon tank (96x24x36) my only questions is will the do well in this tank, it is deeper than most (36") and I have not seen anyone explicitly mention that they are using them on such a deep tank. Are there any other good (and cheep) alternatives? (custom made perhaps). I am willing to spend a more on the outlay to make up for less heat and equiptment (chiller, replacement bulbs etc.). Any thought?
Besides how powerful the total light output is, the concentration of the light output is as important, I am attaching a diag. as how much light would have escaped the tank with different angle of the beams in a tall tank if the LEDs are not chosen properly.
oops let me scale down the pic first.

Attachments

• 38 Tank Light Spread Drawing copy.jpg
    38 Tank Light Spread Drawing copy.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

michael_cb_125

Well I do not have mine yet, it is "supposed" to ship out next week. I have been doinf quite a bit of research on them. I ma wanting to have a super SPS tank. I am considering starting to save for an additional unit. I know that these lights have a pinpointed spread of light, and my tank is 24 inches wide and 31 inches deep. I do not know for sure yet, but if I get the light on the tank, and find that it does not cover the tank like I want I will start a second solaris fund. I guess I will ahve to see.
~Michael

lcstorc

Yep we have talked repeatedly. We were hoping for enough money from the tax return but it got eaten up by other stuff. Maybe I'll win the lottery. Or my parents could decide to give me my inheritance in advance.