socos 46 gallon bowfront

soco

The lobster will grow too large for 5 gallons. Now if it was a crawdad or crayfish, that might work out well for you. But, keep in mind that you don't want to put anything in the refuguim that will eat the algae you plan to have in there. If you do, you will end up replacing the algae often which can get tiring and expensive over time.
I didn't think the purple lobsters would get that big. Also will they eat algae? I thought lobsters were carnivores.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Oxylebius

Lobsters are scavengers. They eat detritus and anything else they can get a hold of. Like most animals they have their favorite foods and won't turn down meaty items, but if there is nothing else to eat they have been known to eat algae as well.

Not sure what purple lobster you are referring to. The one I'm aware of (Enoplometopus species) gets to be 5 inches long, so a little big for a 5 gallon tank. If you do an image search for "Enoplometopus purple species" this is the purple lobster I'm aware of.

soco

Ya that's the one I'm talking abaout.
Guess I did know they're opportunistic feeders. Never really thought about them eating algae, but if there hungry why not.

Last edited:

Oxylebius

I'm actually more concerned about the 5g being a little too small for it rather than the lobster eating algae. If you plan to feed it meaty items it will likely wait for it next meal from you rather than eat your algae. Any chance you can get a bigger/wider refuge? Something you need to think about before you purchase it.

soco

O I'm not set on getting it yet. I just like to see what other have to say. I've kept one before but it was in a 38 gall reef. I just trying to figure out what would or wouldn't work. The last one started nipping fish after a while.

Tru2nr

I agree sump is too small for the lobster...btw I was in bluefish and I did what I shouldn't have I bought an Orange Linkia haha! Still I won't touch this fish though in seeing them, a lot looked sick like but I really did like their 57G Deep Blue Rimless that they had haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soco

I not gunna do the lobster. I decided to overhaul my sump today. Wish I had taken pics but oh well. I took one of my baffles out and all the rocks. I will say it seems alot cleaner now and has alot more flow. So I'm happy with that. Redid my rockwork as well. I do have pics of that lol.

soco

I agree sump is too small for the lobster...btw I was in bluefish and I did what I shouldn't have I bought an Orange Linkia haha! Still I won't touch this fish though in seeing them, a lot looked sick like but I really did like their 57G Deep Blue Rimless that they had haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good luck with the linkia. There beautiful, tough to get stable tho. Ya there fish are iffy for sure. Next time you go hit me up. I live 3 min from bluefish.

soco

How's the leak / salt creep along your bottom frame?
Still not sure. I've tried testing it and it's there some days and it's not others. But I've been doin alot or stuff in there and it seems like there's always water everywhere lol

soco

Well been running pretty smooth. No news is good new I guess as far as the salt creep from the bottom. Maybe it was spillage drying.

On a very positive note my Duncan has sprouted many new heads and they are growing fast!
d6efa6983af89d205165d19c4d3b8340.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1454256412342.jpg

soco

Oh ya go got to add that my acro started bleaching on one side so I moved it back to the bottom and broke the tip to make a new frag just in case it got rtn.

Oxylebius

Do you have any ideas why? How's your water quality, have you tested? How long had it been in the location that it was in before it started bleaching? Does it still have tissue and polyps, but loss of color?

soco

Do you have any ideas why? How's your water quality, have you tested? How long had it been in the location that it was in before it started bleaching? Does it still have tissue and polyps, but loss of color?
Actually no idea. I had it on a frag rack in the middle of the tank and it was actually picking up some green color. so I moved it up to about 2/3 the hight of the tank and figured that was a good spot for it. A few days later I noticed the side facing the center of the tank had lost tissue. I tried to clean the dead area off and place it back towards the sand. No more PE but the tissue seems to have stopped receding.
The tank has had a few temp swings lately. But it was doing fine until I moved it up.

Oxylebius

If it was doing well on the frag rack, I'd be inclined to put it back there. At least until you see that all issues have stopped and it has started to grow a tiny bit. I'd also keep all water params in check. Perhaps it was a lighting issue or a current issue. Or something was stinging it where you placed it. I'd recommend looking into and considering each of these. It also could be a combo of factors and not just one of these.

soco

Wow its been a long time since an update. Tank is running well except my light is too strong lol. My lfs is letting me buy a par meter tonight so maybe I'll figure it out. I have the light running at 60% blue and 30% white. And it's still bleaching things.

soco

Borrowed the par meter and it's a pretty strong light. So I gunna dial it back some and see how things go. I started another thread about par meter reading if anyone wants to chime in