Snake's Progress Shots of 110g Show tank

Hello everyone!

This is not my tank. This is a tank that I maintain in a department store. I started the tank with 100% conditioned tap water in August 2011. These are progress shots of the aquarium as it has matured over the last few months. I thought everyone would find this interesting. I take a picture of the tank once every Saturday, (with the exception of a couple Saturdays.)

CIMG4744.jpg

CIMG4747.jpg

CIMG4748.jpg

Basically, these pics are just "getting started" to show you what I have to work with. I only post 3 pics at a time, I feel it's the best way. lol

Notice all the hair algae growing in the tank and looking really bad? See it disappearing?!

Mermaids fans and hair algae
IMG_0005.jpg

Here one week:
IMG_0012.jpg

Gone the next:
IMG_0025.jpg

Blue Space

Hi Snakeblitz! So far I see some blue chromis, a clown, and a fire goby... anything I missed? What are you using for a cuc? I'm tagging along to see your progress with this... :D GL with it!

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

Notice all the coralline algae growing all over the base rock?

I checked calcium and alkalinity and it was a bit low, so I dosed limewater in the tank on a Saturday, and it exploded! I also dose Kent's Essentials half dose every week.

Hi Snakeblitz! So far I see some blue chromis, a clown, and a fire goby... anything I missed? What are you using for a cuc? I'm tagging along to see your progress with this... :D GL with it!

The owner has come across some financial burden and hasn't been able to make a fish purchase in the last couple of months. What you see there is what is currently in it. There's only 10 astrea snails, 1 green emerald crab, and 5 nassarious vibex snails in the tank. Oh, and two brittle stars. There's nothing in there that can eat that much hair algae in two months! So, what's my secret... hmm...

So, guess what?

Here's the equipment list:

Koralia 5 powerhead
1x maxijet 1200 powerhead
overflow
mag 9.5 return pump
~30g custom sump
No filters! No sponge filters, no filter floss, etc.
No chemical filtration
No denitrators, no vodka dosing
No protein skimmer.
No Kent tech-M dosing for the hair algae

So how in the world am I getting rid of the algae in the tank? Can anyone guess?

Yup - you guessed it...

An algae scrubber

This is one weeks growth on the scrubber. The tank is fed two cubes frozen mysis and two cubes frozen brine every day. Along with whatever flake food they want when the kiddies come by. The scrubber took off when the tank was fed more, and the algae problem cleared up faster because of it! Scrubber Dimensions: 12x13" roughed up screen, lit with two 23w CFL bulbs replaced every 3 months.

IMG_0127.jpg

This is one weeks worth of algae growth.
IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

Blue Space

Hmm... well there's a lot to guess at! Since I just have to take a shot in the dark I'd say you either cut back on your light cycle and run a phosban reactor or... manual removal, dose something, turf scrubber? :D Guess I'll just wait for the answer now. Hope it doesn't take too long :ofr:

PIMPALA

The tank is fed two cubes frozen mysis and two cubes frozen brine every day. Along with whatever flake food they want when the kiddies come by.

O_O

holy cow. I have a ton more fish... a couple big ones even, and thats about what i feed my tank in a WEEK. No wonder that guy is short on cash! He spends a fortune on frozen food!!!!!

I want fat happy fish!! That's why the tank is fed so much over the course of the day. Plus, the owner likes to feed - so I have no problem with how much he does. I just gave him his limitations! lol

Thanks tnwillia. I will update this thread once a week after I get more pics.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

Notice all the coralline algae growing all over the base rock?

I checked calcium and alkalinity and it was a bit low, so I dosed limewater in the tank on a Saturday, and it exploded! I also dose Kent's Essentials half dose every week.

Um dude that was only 2 pics.

Great looking ft! Keep pics coming( I will only accept three at a time tho)

Welcome.

Matt's Droidx via tapatalk.