Snails Dying - Looking for Some Advice

gimpy

Kenny, how is the tank coming along now? Are things starting to improve? I hope so. Again, I think I would let things settle down for awhile. Give the tank a chance to stabilize some. 8 weeks is not very long for the tank to stabilize. It is still going through its stages of cycling/curing. I am one that likes to give things time to "do their thing". It will go through a diatom stage and/or a cyano stage, etc. I try to wait it out. I add a few snails, crabs, etc., but I usually don't add chemicals, if I can help it.

Again, I think you should just wait for things to stabilize a little. I would keep up with the water changes and try not to add too much else.

Sorry for your losses, hope things are going in the right direction now.

Good luck, Frank

KMP

the tank is doing better. when i started this thread the calcium was way to high because of the additives i was using - stupidly. i've stopped doing that. all tests are good now, except my alkalinity. between the alkalinity and the calcium being to high i have pretty much lost all my snails and unfortunately my urchin and his crab companion. that was my wake up call to slow down. although the inverts didn't fair well the fish are doing great.

at this point the only thing for me to do is water changes until i can get the alkalinity down. nothing else will be added until then although it was tempting today while at the lfs - but i resisted.

lcstorc

So sorry about your losses, particularly the urchin crab combo. That was way cool to see. Glad things are improving though, and I learned something as well from your other thread. We use purple up occasionally, now I am glad it was only occasionally and will no longer use it. Seems to have caused lots of problems for you. I'm glad I only used it a couple of times.
Peace
Lynn

gimpy

Well, I certainly understand the desire to want/do more. Yesterday, I also went to the lfs. I was planning on adding another fish. The one I had been looking at seems to be doing great (Cherub angel). Swims around picking at the rocks, etc. It came up to me a couple of times looking at me. That is when I noticed a large black/dark spot on its left side. I pointed it out to the lfs. They had not seen it. To the store's credit, they would not sell it to me until they kept it a little longer to see what is up with that spot (they've had him since the first week of May). I was still thinking about trying to take it home anyway because it didn't seem to be affecting him adversely.

The only thing I've bought recently have been snails, etc. I haven't bought a fish in about 3-4 years. I want to buy this one to replace my lemonpeel that I lost last January from an extended power outage.

Sometimes it's really hard to just not do/buy something, especially when you are, 1--new, and 2--have made up your mind you want it (my case). In any case, it sounds like things are beginning to go your way. Hang in there and...

good luck, Frank

KMP

thanks lynn and frank.

lynn, it was a sad day when i lost the crab and the urchin a couple days later. i quickly realized how thankfull i was for taking a picture of them - but have to kick myself for not being more responsible so that they would still be with me. regarding the purple up - i wouldn't proclaim it a bad product at this point. i didn't understand how the different additives related and again, i'm more responsible for my problems than purple up. although i have to admit i'm a bit reluctant to use any additives at this point - gotta get smarter.

frank, good for you. it's hard. there is a nice hammer coral at the lfs and i have a spot picked out for it. i've been looking at it for 2 weeks - i'm covinced it has my name on it - but i gotta wait. hope things work out with that angel.