Smallest tank??

Bigpapa

I have a few salt tanks and know that the smaller you go really makes it more difficult. I am looking at putting one of these small-like in the 5 gallon range or smaller as a desktop tank. Some LR, a few coral frags and maybe something small like a watchman. What would be a realistic size for a supersize nano?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Some people have them as small as a couple of gallons but it's rare for anyone to have one Long-Term. I know of a LFS that I visit in the next state that does this but they do it kind of "sneaky-like". They display this 2 gallon Pico-tank with a shrimp in it and some really neat mushrooms and polyps in it. I kept looking at it and was always amazed at how clean and perfect it looked. I took a couple of pics one time and when I went back I realized what they were doing. They are "rotating" the live-stock in it every week. Fresh (aka healthy) from their other tanks into this one and back out again. Sort of cheating if you ask me.

I have a 12g Nano Cube here on my desk that's been here since March of 2007 and it's doing well. I do weekly water changes of 10% (or more) and it's been a pleasure to have.

Bigpapa

Some people have them as small as a couple of gallons but it's rare for anyone to have one Long-Term. I know of a LFS that I visit in the next state that does this but they do it kind of "sneaky-like". They display this 2 gallon Pico-tank with a shrimp in it and some really neat mushrooms and polyps in it. I kept looking at it and was always amazed at how clean and perfect it looked. I took a couple of pics one time and when I went back I realized what they were doing. They are "rotating" the live-stock in it every week. Fresh (aka healthy) from their other tanks into this one and back out again. Sort of cheating if you ask me.

I have a 12g Nano Cube here on my desk that's been here since March of 2007 and it's doing well. I do weekly water changes of 10% (or more) and it's been a pleasure to have.

Exactly, my lfs also has one set up on there counter. I was interested in one for my desk as I spend so much time there. My currently smallest salt is a 44 hex and would like something that I could setup on the desk. Heck, I could design a sump that is larger than the actual tank for under the desk to create more volume if necesary but just need to keep the main small.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Just keep in mind that water changes and maintenance can be a PAIN in the rear! I mix my SW at home and bring it here (I have a 90g and 10g at home). It helps I live like 2 minutes from my office :)

Bigpapa

KK, tyvm for the info. This is actually going on my desk at home but since my office is the 3rd level I dont want a bigger tank in there.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Oh that's cool. This way you don't have to "Ask the BOSS" like I did :)

I think it's a good idea as long as you can maintain stable water parameters. With such a small tank I'd opt to NOT put fish ( I mean what could you put in such a small tank anyway) and devote it to easy corals and a shrimp :)

michael_cb_125

When My girlfriend Megan first decided she wanted a tank I ordered her a 3 gallon pico tank. She added about 1 inch of sand and a small 4" piece of LR. She stocked it with White pom pom xenia and a tiny damsel. She kept it running for about 7 months. It looked great. The xenia eventually took over and there was not an inch of space left. After about 7 months I got her a 40 gallon, so the pico came down.

Tiny tanks can be kept, but they are generally a pain in the butt. Tiny water changes, to minimize water fluctuations, wide temp variations due to water volume, etc. But if you stay on top of it, they can be done>

~Michael

michael_cb_125

SANY0079-1.jpg

SANY0082.jpg

SANY0084-1.jpg

These pics were taken about 1 month in.
~Michael

Whacked

I've seen some wicked cool pico reefs
michaels post above is yet another good example.

I've never done one but I can imagine they are a PITA to keep up.

michael_cb_125

This is the tank that I got for her:
Desktop & Starter Aquarium Kit: 3-gallon Deco Kit Aquarium

In a tank this small temperature fluctuations are a major concern. Since there is so little water volume the temperature can easily swing 10-15 degrees from day to night. So using a lighting fixture that produces little or no heat is advisable. The PC fixture that comes with this tank kit is decent. It produces little heat, and is relatively bright. It has no reflector, but I remedied this with a piece of aluminum foil. Actually the foil made quite a difference.

Megan and I have been contemplating setting up another "pico" tank. Except this time we would make one that can compare with our Elos Systems.

This is what we are considering:
This tank
ADA Cube Garden MINI S

Lighting: This is a crucial aspect to any system, but picos require special attention to lighting. We are looking into the Elos E-Lite. This is the LED pendant that comes with the Elos Mini Aquarium. Megan has the Elos Mini, and the E-lite is quite impressive. I am not a fan of LED lighting, but I am impressed with the E-lite. Plus, it adds NO heat to the water.

But, this is just on paper currently. :)
~Michael

DJLiquid

The main reason I think that people don't keep pico's for that long is because they upgrade. That's what I did. As far as maintenance I don't think it's that difficult at all, pretty easy actually. Top off the evaporated water with RO/Distilled at least once a week and a few CUPS of salt water changed a week. How hard is that? Not hard. It's the "Bigger Screen" syndrome that cause people to go bigger, they want more of a viewing area. Just like their t.v.'s it's got to be BIG. ;)

michael_cb_125

The room that Megan kept the tank in is kept at 72 constantly.

Megan had very little issues with temp swing. But it is an issue that can occur with any small tank>
~Michael

reefaquatics

I had a 3 gal pico on my kitchen bar for over a year with not one problem and
I live in Florida. The temp was a constant 78, It had no heater.. The room temp
was always 78 and so was the tank. I added top off water every other day.
I did a small half gallon water change once a week.

It had 5 small pieces of live rock, plus one orchid dottyback,
one peppermint shrimp, and a couple of nass snails. Later on I added some
small soft coral frags.

I had an aquaclear 20 and my lighting was a 24 watt 50/50 power compact.

aq5.jpg

Bigpapa

Very nice, is that a piece of glass or plexiglass that you have the light stands mounted on? I am guessing you modded that part..

Whacked

you all are brave.
I'd be to scared to do a pico tank :)
Nano's are more my speed and even then, dont think I could go less than 10g. And yet i'm working on upgrade from a 20H to a 40B w/ sump,...

sw_addicted

this is a 1.5 gallon that is on my desk in the same room as my 120g, water changes are daily(2 cups out of 120g), 6 kinds of mushrooms, orange zoas all open wide and splitting also 1 cleaner shrimp,clown gobbie, small bi-color blennie and a 1" yellow stripe clownfish(that will be added to 120g within a few months). I have not had any problems in the 2 months it has been up. Lighting is 18watts led's and filtration is an azoo palm filter that I do not trust. The 3#'s of live rock with mushrooms and zoas are out of my tank with 250 halides and pcs. I spend more time looking at that little tank then the bigger one that has been up for 5-6years.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh264/sw-addict/DSC00457.jpg
and
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh264/sw-addict/15012.jpg