Small Cracks in Base Support of RSM 130D

Edison

I was just doing a water change & cleaning the skimmer when I noticed these little cracks at the bottom of the right side support.

It looks like the veneer on the right side/bottom edge is beginning to separate from the rest of the support, just a little, it goes about 3/4" back. On the left side there is just a little bit less seperation-about 1/2"

It looks like it's need of repair before it gets worse. Can it be repaired while under load? I was thinking about fitting a C clamp across the front and squirting some strong glue into the cracks. Would that be enough to stop it from splitting further?

I did email Red Sea and asked about the best course of action & sent them the photo.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I just looked at my tank and cabinet, and I'm trying to figure out what part of the tank or cabinet that picture is showing? Let us know what Red Sea says.

Mischko

Looks to me more like water got into the wood and it did swell. Seeing as there seems to be a sump in the stand and you do some stuff with water in the stand.

reeferman

unfortunately that appears to be mdf or particle board and once its gets that far it will probably just keep crumbling.you can try the glue trick but its only a temporary fix.you may need to address why its getting wet in the first place.

steved13

PREMIUM
I agree it looks water damaged. How about another reinforcement board beside this one inside? Maybe even a sandwich, with a reinforcement on each side, a few small carriage bolts, flat washers and nuts. See if RedSea can provide a matching piece to use, so it won't be noticeable.

Edison

When I do a water change, I add the water into the sump and a little does splash onto the stand so yup, it's water damage.

I think I'm going to epoxy and clamp for a day then it's time to reinforce the cabinet so it doesn't get worse. A friend who restores antiques is coming over to help.

Edit: Had my friend over to have a look and he said the best thing to do would be to wait a week for the area to completely dry and then he will come over with and inject some epoxy into the crack and seal it up. He said that as long as it does not get wet, it should be fine.

Last edited: