SLF's RSM 130D

slfcaptain

Since beating back the cyano there is definitely a shift in my contained ecosystem. My palys, zoas, and mushrooms are making new polyps. I am finding new snails, colanista (so) and stomatella. The past few days I am witnessing a bristle worm explosion. I didnt even think I had any but I am finding a bunch of them in the sand and on the rocks. I even found two swimming. :confused:

So far the cyano is not growing but I am still turkey basting a few times a day. This weekend will be the true test if I have won. I'll be away for the weekend and if the cyano stays away I just might declare victory.

steve

slfcaptain

Its seems to be doing well. Its growing quite a bit but its growing sideways at the top. Seems like it will need more support underneath as is grows outwards at the sides and up.

steve

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Awesome to hear that mate! Hopefully the test of the weekend proves to be successful :yup:
How are those rainbow zoa's going??

slfcaptain

Thanks for asking!

Tank is doing ok minus a couple of things. I have been travelling off and on the past 6 weeks so the tank is looking a little messy. The quick list of the goings on of the tank are:

There is some cotton candy algea that is spreading that I haven't had a chance to address

I have an infestation of pyram snails and most of my bought snails are gone. But, there is a population explosion of colinista and stomatella snails. I have been trying to remove the pyram snails but haven't been around much and they are so small.

My 'dying' acans have rebounded and have been growing again. I thought I lost one but it is recovering nicely. I have been feeding more often and that had made a difference.

I haven't added anything to my tank in months. I have been waiting to find out what happens with my wife's job. She interviewed at a new place and if she gets the job and the compensation is favorable then we'll move. Unfortunately that would mean I would have to take the tank down until we have a new home and they may be a year off. We'll know around the end of August.

When I clean the tank i'll take some picts and post them. I have some zoas that have been growing like crazy.

steve

slfcaptain

Hmmm, I think I would be embarrassed posting a shot. I am in the middle of a red hair algae breakout. I"'ll think about when the lights come back on.lol

steve

slfcaptain

Its been forever since I posted any sort of FTS or a proper update. Part of the reason is I thought we were moving and did absolutely nothing with the tank since around February. So my tank looks like it hasn't changed in forever. So here is a almost update-to-date photo (I took it about 1-2 weeks ago).

Now that I know we are not moving I am just now trying to decide what to do with it. I am not sure I like the aquascape anymore. Seems like its too difficult to place corals and I think I have to make a change, at least to the smaller rocks on the left. The big one on the rock is two large rocks epoxy-ed together and will likely have to stay the way it is. Maybe someone will have some suggestions.

I am also fighting with some real annoying red hair algae (at least I think that's what it is).

It is not easy to scrape off and it is growing like crazy. I am also starting to get cyano blooms on top of it so it is looking nasty. I have kept up with water changes every 7-10 days and do feed daily with Mysis or cyclopeeze. I suppose I have to come up with a plan to attack this stuff before it overtakes everything. Again, suggestions welcome.

Now that I will be getting some new stuff soon I'll start posting more often.

slfcaptain

I think I might give them a try. The LFS has them but they do seem a bit large. I did get a snail booster from reefcleaners that included a super large nerite that hasn't done any damage. A large turbo should be ok.

steve

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
As Glenn said see if a couple of turbos will help out :)
Tank is looking pretty good otherwise, I'm loving the growth on those palys!! Any thoughts on how you want to change the scape??

slfcaptain

I might do something as simple as laying the rocks on the left down on their sides and adding a few small pieces. If I had all over to do I dont think I would have the massive rock on the right. It just feels like it is limiting my options.

steve