Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, and Yellow Tang

new reefer 03

my LFS had 50% off of all livestock today, so i bought 2 cleaners for the price of one!!! :thumbup:
i actually did research before/after buying these creatures (i really did, woah!) i just wanted to get you comments on them.
my main concern will be feeding them, for parasites they have my tang, and 2 clowns but thats it for now. i read that they eat frozen, pellet, and flake (everything) but im not sure if i need to feed it to them, or if they will scavenge around for it?

thanks! :)

new reefer 03

my LFS had 50% off of all livestock today, so i bought 2 cleaners for the price of one!!! :thumbup:
i actually did research before/after buying these creatures (i really did, woah!) i just wanted to get you comments on them.
my main concern will be feeding them, for parasites they have my tang, and 2 clowns but thats it for now. i read that they eat frozen, pellet, and flake (everything) but im not sure if i need to feed it to them, or if they will scavenge around for it?

thanks! :)

:cry1: dangit!:cry1:
i was looking at my clowns, and one of them has ich ( i think ) will my cleaners take care of him? this is just a coincidence, i swear, lol.
if my cleaners do keep the ich under control, it will still be in my tank do i need to worry about that?

what if my cleaners dont do the trick?:evileye:

lcstorc

You have spent enough time in the disease forum to know the answer to this. The cleaner shrimp are part of your cleanup crew and will scavenge leftovers and help keep the tank clean.
For the ich you need to QT and treat the fish while leaving the tank fish free for 8 weeks. Read the ich thread in the disease forum for complete instructions on the process but there is no other way to get rid of the ich. The symptoms may go away but the parasite will still be there unless the fish are treated appropriately and the tank is left without fish for 8 weeks.

yungreefer2410

...it seems like one problem after another with your tank. you might need to remove all livestock and recycle. or you might as well if you have ick. are you positive it has ick? i sometimes think my goby has ick but its sand in his fins

new reefer 03

i wont be sure until tomorrow or a couple of days, it may not be ick, i did some rearanging today and added that tubeworm (he had sand stuck to him, and i got it off using the koralia... ;))

but i cant afford a QT tank big enough to hold a tang, and 2 clowns right now. that sale emptied my wallet, and i dont like taking to much from the bank. i dont know what to do, for now im just going to let everything be

new reefer 03

what could it be though?
as cole mentioned to recycle, i dont think thats an option. i have too much livestock in there, and i dont even know how to cycle, i skipped mine. (bought tank used, so didnt have to cycle.

Jeremy0322

You talked about not being able to afford a QT big enough for your tang, how big are we talked about. Mine was able to do 2 weeks in a 10 gallon tank, and even though i felt bad it was better to get him out of the tank and treat him instead of letting him get worse. A 20 gallon tank would hold him plus a few other fish for the 2 months it would tank to get your tank back on the right track. Its my opinion that for TEMPORARY time spans they can do fine in tanks this size and smaller, but for long term health that is when you get into the bigger systems. IMO you need to get your fish out of your tank, get them all treated and better, and let the ich in the DT die off. Just get a fresh start, or you are going to keep getting hit with stuff like this over and over again.

lcstorc

You are right on Jeremy. While I am one of the people who chime in most about tangs needing room that is for long term accomodations where another larger home is not present. For QT purposes that is an entirely different thing.
Buying one because "you are going to get a bigger tank" is a bad idea because often the bigger tank never happens but if the larger tank is there and just going fallow even I have no problem with it.

new reefer 03

lynn, your post lost me...
so a 20g could hold all of the fish for 8 weeks? i dont want to stress anyone about room.
if i get the 20g what else do i need for them?
also would i make it a QT with LR, and LS or a hospital, with nothing?