Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, and Yellow Tang

new reefer 03

gotcha ;)

How can you tell a good tang? i was just looking for one with no nibble marks on his fins.
Will he become agressive to new fish, if i put 1 or 2 more in there? like a scooter, or some sort of medium level swiming fish ?

Midnight

I think as long as there not the same size they would be okay. There might be a little picking at first just to show who is boss.

new reefer 03

should the new fish be bigger, or smaller, tang are huge.. ?

how can you pick out a healthy Yellow Tang? i just look for one with no nibbled down fins.

Midnight

for a 55 you need to find a small tang. Keep your eyes open for a baby tang so it has time to grow. I would look for good color, have the LFS feed them so you know there eating.

new reefer 03

i would be purchassing it from petco... ( its like saving a fish :lol: )
i have had a "good" experience with my petco, they keep good stock, and what i buy from them seems to stay alive. ( thats where i bought my lawnmower tonight ) I also have a coupon making my Tang only $30. i probably wouldn't ask them to feed it first, they hardly know how to catch the fish with the net.

Jeremy0322

I have the same size tank as you and am rocking the Yellow Tang Cleaner Shrimp combo and its really cool to have, and its a blood red cleaner shrimp so it adds some nice color. When looking for the tank you do want to find a relatively small one, preferably with no nibbling on the fins but you could probably get away with some really small marks if you QT, but thats just my opinion. You want to make sure there is no HLLE, which is something alot of tangs in pet stores have, mine had it but it was like 20 bucks and I could not pass it up. You want it to be really yellow, and most tangs should be really curious, so if its hanging out in the back of the tank alot its probably not your best choice. It should be interested in what you are doing and whats going on around it. I added my tang in the middle of the current addition process and then from there added a small clown fish and then a sang sifting goby and there really was not a problem with either addition, the goby and the tang fought over the top notch position for about 2 days and then there was peace. Do some research on the HLLE(Head and Lateral Line Erosion) so you know what you are looking for there, and also do some research on what you need to feed them, because from what I have seen, and am relatively new to this game, they have some strict feeding requirements compared to other fish. I know my tang gets more vitamins a day than I take in a month.

And about the iodine with the shrimp, i do a 5 gallon water change every week to week and a half and have never supplemented with anything, and about 2 days after every water change i see his old "skin" stuck to a power head when I wake up in the morning, I think he is dead everytime for some reason, still gets me after like 20 molts.

And after looking at your avatar I think you will be fine, he has the full 4 feet in the front to swim plus the sides so you should be good aslong as you dont get a big one to start.

new reefer 03

thanks for the info on MHLLE i did some research on that, and it seems pretty obvious if the fish has it. they lose their color, and their top fins start to eroce, so there is a difference in nibble marks, or erosion.
Also i do weekly 5 gallon water changes with Instant Ocean salt, although i have Reef Crystals on the way from drsfosterandsmith.com. i am thinking this should bring me more calcium and iodine, all of the minerals and what not. currently IO is maintaining this for me, my calcium is 500, so i will either use IO until i have a higher demand, or do water changes every other week.
As for QT i do not have a tank setup, neither does my dad. my dad got a tang a month ago or so, and he did not QT him. his tang is still gracefully roaming around his tank, and eating Rozen Mysis Shrimp.

jeremy if you already have one, could i get a pic of your setup? i am trying to decide how i want my rock work, lol.

Jeremy0322

CIMG4681.jpg

Your current rock works looks nice, but this is what mine looks like

new reefer 03

i really like the look of your rock on the left side, it looks like it xcame right from the ocean!

well Petco didnt have any tangs, what the hell? they always have tangs.
and my LFS with my cleaner closed early!!!

on the up side, i got 1 head of hammerhead, and 4 heads of candy cane, i even got 15+ polyps of eagle eye!!!!!!

Jeremy0322

Its a Current PC light fixture, that is the most accurate answer I can give you. Its a 4 bulb fixture that runs 65 watt bulbs, 2 of which are dual daylight and the other 2 are actinic lights. It does the job but if the tank stays up I would like to go the T5 route, something with some more power behind it.

And thanks for the complement about the rockwork, the x-girlfriend sat there and told me where to set rocks and I just moved them, it turned out really nice I thought. But i did have some really nice rock shapes to work with, that always helps.

new reefer 03

wow, i have a coralife 4 bulb PC fixture, your seems to have quite the output! maybe its the camera, but thats looks like T5's lol.
your avatar, is that in your tank?

Jeremy0322

I freaking wish I had the tank for that fish, but thats not mine, its just a dream fish as weird as that sounds haha. And the fixture actually came with the tank so I just replaced the bulbs and then set it up. I am happy with how it looks but its only doing about 5 watts per gallon so I cant have any hardcore corals sadly

lcstorc

new reefer 03

thanks Lynn, great page.
i change my threads alot :lol: if you didnt start with me from page 1, you'd better get reading from page 1 ;)

new reefer 03

Well, today i got half of my tang/shrimp addition completed!!!
i got my Tang, i got him from the LFS and he had been in QT for 2 weeks, and for sale for 1. considerring i dont have a QT tank some QT is better than Petco.
i will get him a cleaner when they are in stock ( hopefully by the weekend )

new reefer 03

well, still no cleaner. im fixing to just say "screw this LFS" actually i did. im going to get a med. cleaner, probabnly 1" from another LFS. i officilly will not be going to that LFs any more! my tang has internal parasites (or worms), and still has these apots on his head (check my chronicles for pics, if you want)