Skimmer

DaveK

I am assuming that the skimmer was doing ok, making a modest amount of skimmate, and then all of a sudden created a lot of foam.

Here are some things to check.

Did you use any additives or meds in the tank?

Did you add any new livestock? Some LFSs use products such as Stress Coat when they bag fish, and this causes a skimmer to foam.

Did you get anything in the tank to contaminate it? Did anything die?

Did you change any filter media, with out washing it first? Sometimes the various filter materials contain things that make the skimmer foam.

If anything broken on the skimmer or pump?

That should get you started.

If the skimmer is not broken, it is usually best to let the skimmer remove whatever is causing the foaming. You may need to back down the pump's flow a little so the foam gets concentrated.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Are you saying that your skimmer isn't producing any skimmate or it is just making foam? Can you describe it a little more?

Frankie

RS STAFF
Dave knows what he is talking about. This happens from medications usually or the addition of any mark wise products. (JK about the Mark Wise. I think :D )

If there is a contaminate in the water or a product used to bump the Mg for example, skimmers can do all kinds of crazy things. Some of the Seachem products do this also. It causes the bubble chamber to foam up more then build a head on top of dense bubbles, and can overflow the skimmer constantly until the product or contaminate either is absorbed into the system or worked out by carbon. Or after the skimmer pulls half the water out of the tank. :(