Skimmer remove salt?

novanosis

Just wondering since a skimmer does remove water, does it also remove salt?

Say skimmer does remove water, can I just add ro as top off?

Or am I suppose to worry about salinity?

DrHank

Don't worry about the water in the skimmate. It isn't enough to make any difference.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Skimmers do remove salt and if you are hooked up to an auto top off you need to check the salinity often. I test it about every other day. Especially when my skimmer is running overly wet.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Common question. "Was does it seem my salinity is always low beofore my next WC" Reply: "It is your skimmer. " If anyone has any doubts stick a conductivity meter in it. Organics which are high in skimmate have no charge, thus can not conduct on that meter and add to the reading. Only - or + charged substances have conductivity. It makes no difference if it is dry or wet but wet will have more salt in it. it also depends on how much skimmate you produce / day. Now, if you do weekly WC and adjust for Salinity then it is not much of an issue, especially if the top-of has kalk, which adds to the salinity reading, as Ca(OH)2 ----> Ca++ + 2-OH -

Frankie

RS STAFF
Very interesting. Thank you Boomer.
I wish I knew that BEFORE I did the finger taste test!!

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Yah Franky but the finger taste test works great and is done in a second, with no calibration or test tubes :)