Skimmer question.

Teutonic

I have a question regarding skimmers.

I'm roughly in week 4 of my tank cycling. My tests today read;
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.50
Nitrate: 10
Currently planned to be FOWLR only till funds work out for lighting.55g.

I've read several articles about cycling a new tank.:read: Some if not most say do not run your skimmer while cycling. Some say yes run your skimmer while cycling.

I opted to not run my skimmer up to this point figuring it wouldn't help speed my cycle up and potentially could slow it. With the only benefits of getting a jump start on breaking the thing in and maybe lowering some nitrates..

I wanted some opinions on this topic from you guys.

Thanks.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
that is how I did it :)

on a side note... if your ammonia soared & then dropped back to zero, then the nitrites started to really climb, sounds like your cycle is really progressing & it getting close to where you could start the skimmer back up...

then when the nitrites drop, do water changes to reduce the nitrates & you are good to go :)

squiers007

Turning the skimmer on will not lower your current nitrates, the only way to accomplish this is by water changes. It sounds like you are on the right track though. Wait until your nitrites go away and then do a good sized water change like nanoreefing said to remove the nitrates that have built up. At this point you would be fine to turn the skimmer on and break it in. During break in, make sure you keep an eye on it though so you dont end up wet skimming a bunch of water.

Teutonic

Thanks for the replies.

I've got many a tank cycles under my belt. Skimmers are new to me though. I'm guessing your thoughts on them during a cycle is to not run them.

As far as "wet skimming", my skimmer has a collection cup i can raise and lower. To break it in and prevent wet skimming should i just have the bottom of the collection cup barely getting contact with the bubble column? To prevent most if not all foam from reaching the top of the cup.