Skimmer problem

drachen

I got an ASM mini-g skimmer with the tank i bought from someone, i set it up and when i turn it on it just pumps water up a few inches in the body and no bubbles and it wasn't sucking any air in. When i blew into the air hose it would start putting tons of bubbles out for a second then stop. I even took off the hose and cleaned it out to make sure it wasn't clogged or anything.

Frankie

RS STAFF
IF you saw bubbles when you blew into the tube then I am guessing the venturi is on the pump backwards. Try pulling it off and turning it around.
If that does not work then you may want to replace that air line.
Make sure the air line stays out of the water or it will not work.

Big Ray

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hello,
I have had the same Issues in the past. what Frankie said is most probably the case. but if not here are a few things I have learned over the years which helps alot with maint skimmers.
first try to blow into the air line (after checkign to be sure its instaled correctly) and once it draws air, place it in RO/DI water, so it pulls RO/DI water through the venturi to clean it out, I do this weekly to maintain top performance. second is to simply turn it on and let all the water inside to pure out, so if anything (detritus) blocking the intake it can come out.
if the venturi is stock, then you need to wash it in vineager, and performing the ro/DO thing above will ensure it wont get clogged again. lastly, check how low is the pump under water. you may have to bring the pump closer to surface of water for it to pull air in.

good luck with the new skimmer :)

drachen

Well i have pulled the venturi off and just see the red wheel with a bunch of pins, i dont think the venturi can even be put on backwards. I got the skimmer in about 8" of water. Should i try and just wash the venturi with some warm water or something to maybe dislodge anything in there? Thanks for the replies guys!

drachen

well i took it apart and cleaned out the hose again and the venturi.. put it back and it is still doing the same.. no bubbles unless i actually am blowing into it :(

drachen

well if i take the pump out and run it alone under water it is shooting out bubbles like normal, but when i put it back in the skimmer and in my sump it still wont bubble. Just pushes the water up a couple inches in the body.