Skimmer issue after feeding raw salmon

solpete

(the SALMON VINEGAR METHOD) Skimmer issue after feeding raw salmon

So I gave my inhabitants in my 100G some raw salmon. As you knight know, salmon is a really fat fish. A gave them this yesterday, and Ill never do it again! This is because since I have that piece of salmon, my skimmer has completely stopped skimming. The bubbles pop as soon as they are created. I gave them salmon 18 hours ago, and the skimmer is simply not working.... My nitrates also went up slightly from like 5-7 ppm to more like 10 ppm during this time. Ill never feed them salmon again nor will I include it in home made reef food.

comments?

Last edited:

Mike Johnson

Is there any oil slick on the top of the water when you turn off all pumps? If you're running a sump this would be your middle section. If so, take a cup and skim that oil off the top. This is actually good advise for everyone.

Did the fish enjoy it?

solpete

Yeah the fishes enjoyed it, although my Niger Trigger took most of it.... Ill try that, theres a good portion of "oil" both in the sump and also in the DT.... and its been 24 hours now! Amazing how oil can be so effective anti-skimmer!..... never again... never again....

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
swipe over the affected areas with a dry clean papertowl. Drop it on the oil and immediatly lift it offf and discard. I had similar issues with oil from another type of fish, but the name escapes me.

solpete

swipe over the affected areas with a dry clean papertowl. Drop it on the oil and immediatly lift it offf and discard. I had similar issues with oil from another type of fish, but the name escapes me.

Something totally unexplained has happened..... It might have to do with feeding something containing fat. My Phosphates and Nitrates has dropped to lower values than ever before. Since the startup about 10 months ago, Ive been regularely checking phosphates and nitrates. Never have they been lower than approx. 0.03 ppm and 2 ppm respectivly nitrates have more been closer to 5, steadily no matter how much food I give. 36 hours ago when I fed salmon my nitrates went from 5ppm to 10ppm and my skimmer stopped skimming. Yesterday I added 5 ml of vinegar (bottle is pre-diluted 24% vingear). I often dose sugar or vinegar. I might have added a bit more than usual.... tank is 100G.

My NO3 are currently 0.0 and Phophates are 0. I have never had such low number ever! I could not believe my eyes and had to do a re-check with the same result. And last days Ive been feeding more than I have ever done because I wanted my SPS corals to get nutrition.

Either the FAT has contributed or had effect to nitrates, or the combination of FAT and vinegar has had this effect. I am amazed! Ive always wanted to reach low values but I have never been able..... Could fat be a catalysator for the vodka-method? Tonight im giving the fishes a feast of food.

Akshay

Hmmm this is interesting... I never do any kinda of C dosing. Can your share your exp with C dosing? Thanx.

solpete

The only clear result I've ever had with carbon dosing was a half teaspoon of fat raw salmon filet combined with 5-7 ml of vinegar (strong 24%). That's for a 100 G tank. IF the fat stops skimming for more than 24 hours remove the oil by shutting down everything and using paper towel at the water surface. I present to you, THE SALMON-VINEGAR METHOD !!

Mike Johnson

Alright, I'm on board for experimentation. There are variables to consider. Has a new algae growth consumed your excess nutrients?

Keep us updated on the Salmon-Vinegar Method.