Skimmer in a FO tank?

Frankie

RS STAFF
I wouldn't worry about the live sand. Just get dry arragonite sand from the lfs. It will become live quick enough from the LR. Many people debate how much life is in the live sand to begin with. Most life forms need oxygen to live and there is no (or very little) oxygen in those bags.
If you know someone nearby with a tank you can ask for a cup or two of their sand to seed yours.

Finally someone sees my point about live sand! Karma for Lynn!

CMG

I have the aqua c remora which is a hang on back skimmer on my 50g FOWLR tank. Except it isnt really a FOWLR yet since I just started it and its cycling. But my only warning is that the skimmer is loud. I have it in my room and sometimes I have to unplug it to sleep and turnit back on in the morning. The instructions say it is noisy at first and then quiets down after break in period but I have had mine for almost 2 months now. Maybe an in sump style would be less noisy since its usually inside a stand? But it does pull out a bunch of nasty stuff so I do appreciate it. Just my .02 cents.

lcstorc

Make sure the Remora is level in all directions. Mine was noisy at first and now I don't hear a thing.
HTH

tbittner

WOW! I didn't know that Lynn. Thanks! I'm going to go check mine now because it is noisy too. I think the bottom is leaning in towards the tank a bit.