Skimmer in a FO tank?

Hi does anyone here use a skimmer for their FO tank? I have no LR or corals just fish.

My water is always yellow and I cant seem to clear it up

lcstorc

Well to clear up the yellow I would run activated carbon. That generally polishes the water and removes contaminants.

What do you use for your biological filtration if you don't have LR?

Regardless I would run a skimmer. It just pulls out so many nasties that to me it is definitely worth it.

kyrie_eleison

Has been struck by the ban stick
Carbon is definitely the way to go. I have a both a reef-tank and a FOWLR. My reef tank has a skimmer but my FO tank has a refuge. I run carbon in both and the water is virtually pristine. However, I do also change 10% in the FO and 20% in the reef once a week. And, I'll change another 10% any other time due to my O.C.D. problem.

Carbon is definitely the way to go. I have a both a reef-tank and a FOWLR. My reef tank has a skimmer but my FO tank has a refuge. I run carbon in both and the water is virtually pristine. However, I do also change 10% in the FO and 20% in the reef once a week. And, I'll change another 10% any other time due to my O.C.D. problem.

Thanks guys, No I have no LR.

Wheres a good place for carbon? I could throw a sockful in the sump, but it seems like the water will just flow around it........

mps9506

Yep. We ran skimmers on all our FO systems in the store as well as at the aquarium. They are extremely beneficial on both reef and FO tanks.

That being said, a good quality activated carbon should clear up the yellow. AFA the best place to put carbon, what type of filtration setup do you have? Usually a bag in the sump is fine, or you could purchase a phosban reactor and put carbon in that if you are worried about sufficient flow.

kyrie_eleison

To be honest, you should maybe consider getting some live rock (cured unless you have a separate place to cure it for the time being and not in your FO display tank) in addition to a skimmer. But, definitely get a skimmer and get some carbon and get some live rock and while your at it (if you haven't already-get some live sand).

lcstorc

I wouldn't worry about the live sand. Just get dry arragonite sand from the lfs. It will become live quick enough from the LR. Many people debate how much life is in the live sand to begin with. Most life forms need oxygen to live and there is no (or very little) oxygen in those bags.
If you know someone nearby with a tank you can ask for a cup or two of their sand to seed yours.

kyrie_eleison

That's true. I didn't start my tank with live sand either. To be honest, I used play sand (unbleached). I cycled my reef tank the long way.

lcstorc

Play sand can be really tricky. It ususally contains high silicates which usually lead to a long stretch of diatoms. Personally I use dry aragonite sand from the lfs (or Drs Foster and Smith). It has worked great for me.

DrHank

Silica is also sharper. I wouldn't recommend it if you are planning on sand sifting gobies or burrowing fish. If you once saw what a properly tuned skimmer pulls from a tank, you would never want to be without one. It's like letting your fish swim in a sewer.

kyrie_eleison

Ics,

Yep, I will never do that again. I use aragonite only b/c it doesn't cost that much and it looks nice.

tbittner

I'm setting up a 150g predator only tank with LR (not too much but should be plenty to host the nitrifying bacteria, about 75 lbs). This tank will only be fed krill, silversides, and squid (soaked with garlic, selcon, and zoe). Would a skimmer still be advised on a tank stocked with eels, triggers, and a puffer? I'm pretty sure I'm going to add a refugium to this tank and add some chaeto into it although I could just put the chaeto into the tank since none of these guys would eat it.

lcstorc

IMO a good skimmer is always a good idea. Particularly with such a small amount of LR.
If you ever doubt the use of a skimmer go to someone's house when they empty the skimmer cup. It will convince you to never again go without.
If you are going to have a sump then I would recommend an ASM G2.
I love the ASM skimmers for an in sump skimmer.

tbittner

Yeah, I have a remore pro on my 120. I didn't know that it would do much though given the type of food the 150 would be fed. I thought the skimmers were mainly for removing uneaten food before it decays. I doubt if they would remove uneaten pieces of krill, silversides, or squid but I could be wrong which is the reason I'm asking. :)

Not to mention, these guys don't leave hardly anything lying around uneaten. It's two snowflakes, a picasso trigger, and the surprise Ghost eel hitchhiker and they all clean up pretty much anything that is thrown into the tank (I actually feed them with kabob sticks). :)

lcstorc

Yeah, I have a remore pro on my 120. I didn't know that it would do much though given the type of food the 150 would be fed. I thought the skimmers were mainly for removing uneaten food before it decays. I doubt if they would remove uneaten pieces of krill, silversides, or squid but I could be wrong which is the reason I'm asking. :)

Not to mention, these guys don't leave hardly anything lying around uneaten. It's two snowflakes, a picasso trigger, and the surprise Ghost eel hitchhiker and they all clean up pretty much anything that is thrown into the tank (I actually feed them with kabob sticks). :)

They remove DOCs in general. This is not just uneaten food though it would remove the larger food once it starts to decay. I have frequently hear skimmers referred to as a fish toilet. From the smell this seems about right. Regardless fish wast is a DOC so would be subject to removal by a skimmer.
Not sure what size tank you have the Remora Pro on but I don't think it is enough for the tank you describe. It is a great skimmer (at least my regular Remora is) but I just think it would be underpowered in this system. Remember the rule of thumb is to get a skimmer rated for double your water volume. Most manufacturers overrate their skimmers.
Also your relatively low amount of LR would make the skimmer even more important IMO.

tbittner

The Remore Pro is on my 120 reef tank and I have around 150 lbs of LR and 30 lbs of live sand in it PLUS a refugium with another 40 lbs of LR and 20 lbs of live sand and chaeto.

But you're right, the 150 is a predator tank and I was trying to keep the LR down to a minimum so we would see the eels once in a while. But maybe I should add another 50 pounds to take it up to 125 lbs in it.

I'll take a look at skimmers and see what I can get. Problem is HOB skimmers just don't go that big, I think the remora pro was the biggest HOB I could find and there isn't that much clearance in my refugium for the ASM's. (don't think so anyway)

lcstorc

Are the tanks going to be connected? If not you might want to go with a sump/fuge combo. The ASMs are not really that big and the web site gives the dimentions so you can plan for it.
You should have seen us put our G4+ under the 125. Very amusing to say the least. It is just short enough to fit in my stand. It is in a 29g tank with tons of extra room and the G2 would be even smaller. I have a G1X in the garage and the footprint is not nearly what you would expect. It may even be smaller than my Remora.

tbittner

Ok, you've all got me thinking about these two tanks. I'm now thinking about getting a 150/200 gallon polyethylene tank and piping both tanks into it as a sump/refugium. Now the question is, has anyone ever glued separators into a polyethylene tank before? What do I use for the separator and for the glue? Do I use a heat gun and weld a separator in? I have a large, mostly empty storage room that will work perfect for placing this tank. Then I can put a large skimmer in it, hook the chiller into it, and the LR/LS I have scattered throughout the aquariums will act as filtration for both. I do a water change, both get a water change simultaneously. I'm liking this. Of course the bad thing is, if one tank gets sick, so does the other...

I'm positive I can get this to work but if anyone has worked with these polyethylene tanks before I sure would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. :)

tbittner

Ok! I just got back from Tractor Supply and I picked up a 35 gallon polyethylene tank which I'll use as the receive tank for the water coming from the aquariums. I'll install a bulkhead into it and put a drainage bar which is a 1 1/2" pipe which I'll drill a bunch of holes in to give a dispersed flow into:

A 100 gallon rubbermaid open container which will be my refugium, which I'll install a bulkhead in so the water flows through the refugium and dumps into:

A 100 gallon polyethylene closed container that I'll put bulk heads in to attach external pumps to pump the water back to the aquariums.

I'll also install a bulkhead low on the 35g to attach an external pump to pump the water down the drain. I'll plumb the pumps in my two 44 g barrels (one fresh RO/DI, the other New Saltwater) to pump water into the 100 g container for topoffs and water changes.

I now have plenty of room to put a large skimmer in the 35g with the cup sticking out the top. I'll also put a bulkhead in the 35 to pipe water to the chiller and from there, drop it into the 100g bypassing the refugium in order to cut the flow down in the refugium.

By gumby! I'm positive this will work!

Everything will be installed in my large storage room in the basement which is mostly empty at the moment.
Everything will be easily accessible for maintenance. The only electric usage at the tanks will be for the lights.