skimmer choices? vote

which skimmer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cindyp

now realize after doing everything I can think of to adjust my skimmer that I need a new one.
the skimmer I have works great but it just can't keep up. it was originally for a 125 w/ a 30 gal sump and I have been using it on a 180 w/ a 75 gal sump. I have raised it up so the water level is between 8- 10 inches(it didn't skim at all) I have changed pumps sizes from a 500 gph to a 1330 gph ( the 1330 just blew the water thru it) nothing works.
what I need is advise on which skimmer to purchase here are the top 3 on my list of brands.
keep in mind I have a heavy bioload and will have a school of Anthias in the next year approx (5-7) to add to my other 18 fish that are already in the 180. I am looking for an insump that can handle a heavy load and I really like to feed my fish and coral so with all that in mind here are the 3 I am looking at:)
Q. should I combine total water volume when choosing a skimmer?
any adise is welcome
Thanks Cindy
links to skimmer
My Reef Creations
Protein skimmer, ozone, skimmer, venturi, in-sump, hang-on, Euro, stand-alone. downdraft, needle-wheel, protein looking at the SVS3-24
In-sump
Reef Octopus Extreme 250 | CoralVue Technology

Frankie

RS STAFF
Being a Beckett skimmer fan I voted for the MRC. Not the easiest skimmer in the world to run but very efficient and has a solid background for doing it's job.
Next would be the ROE. THis is a very well designed skimmer with ease of use.
I believe Woodstock is running that one on her breeder system.
Not a big fan of the other one. Way to many parts for the purpose.

cindyp

Thanks Frankie I will keep that in mind.
I also want to add that I would like the skimmer to cost no more than 800.00
also ease of use is a big deal to me. I look forward to hearing actual reviews from fellow reefers about their experiances and recommendations and it does not have to be in refferance to the skimmers I listed.
as always thanks for your help:)

Frankie

RS STAFF
That is a good price range. If you like, try calling Scott at Aquarium Specialty and see if he is having any specials. Drop my name if you like. He is a friend and has a good selection.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I am sure Scott will work a deal out with a pump. That skimmer is external if I am not mistaken. It is also capable of expanding. That is why the pump does not come with it. Each expansion will need a stronger pump to run it. Scott is pretty knowledgeable and will point you in the right direction. Give him a call.
You can also email him with a link to this thread to better help him understand what you are looking for.
He may point you in a different direction for your needs.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Becket skimmers are the best but they are a pita to keep running optimum.

Here's my creation :) actually two of them lol

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMzAtMjAxMDA2MDEtMTUzN.jpg

cindyp

Becket skimmers are the best but they are a pita to keep running optimum.

Here's my creation :) actually two of them lol

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMzAtMjAxMDA2MDEtMTUzN.jpg
goodness! LOL that would never fit under my tank.
I must say the one on the left is much cuter too:)

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Lol she's a ham lol always cheesing for picture :D

No option for SWC cone skimmers, they seem to be all the rage this season Lol

Schwa

I think SWC cones and octo cones are in fact the same skimmer with a different pump they certainly look the same. I would almost be willing to bet the skimmer body's are made in the same factory in china. SWC claims to be the original "Extreme Skimmer" Their selections look almost identical to Octo. and they have both named their product lines the same. If they are not the same skimmer albeit color and pump then one is seriously copying the other.I am going to be on the market real soon for a new skimmer I am tired of my energy hog downdraft and have heard that they are not the best for Reef Tanks. I am looking at one of the Octo cones with the BB pump or an octo extreme 250 with a BB upgrade I hear this pump is where its at right now