Skimmer and sump function

AJK

I was thinking, skimmer will intake water from overflow compartment, skim, then return water back to the same compartment, before the fuge. So, skimmer will continously intake water from skimmer out, mixed with overflow. Hope I'm not confusing anyone.

So, I want to do is, extend the overflow elbow into the fuge section, using pvc, just have to make sure overflow water does not go over baffle into fuge area, using ball valve, pump from skimmer will fill the fuge and return sections. Probably not that critical, just somethin I thought up.

Has anyone tried, what I'm thinking of trying ?? Which method would be better ??
Thanks

In Sump:
sumpidea1.jpg

Hang on:
sumpidea2.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
So you're just extending the skimmer OUTPUT so that it goes into the fuge and doesn't recirculate over and over and over again? That's a common set-up just don't overly complicate it and don't restrict the output of the skimmer (although in theory this might give more DWELL time . . .)

AJK

Hi Al,
Thanks for reply. My pvc overflow output is 600 gph, found out from CoralLife my pump is Rio 1100, rated 300 gph,. Don't want the input water, overflow the skimmer baffle. Will adjust with ball valve to see if it works, or reduce pvc to 3/4", so my return pump should be 300-600 gph. Goodness, hope I can figure all this out, Lol !!!! Rep, suggest I put skimmer in sump, cause O-rings are known to leak. Well, let me get this all together and see how it works. Thanks again friend. Happy reefing :)