Sk8rdn's Rolling 50 Gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Best thread update ever! Great tunes too!
:bluesbros:
I just saw Etta with BB king couple months ago, she is truly one dirty minded old bag with a killer voice.

Thank you!

I bet that was one killer show...

....H20 incapable....

sk8rdn

Forgot to show off the new serpent star:

yvepy5e9.jpg

sk8rdn

More deaths to report.

Neo and Trinity are both dead.

I'm down to assuming it is some kind of contaminant in the 40B tank. Despite water changes, it appears to still be there. Everything is getting torn down and packed away.
I'm also sad to say that I've decided with the recent issues I've been having that it would be prudent to postpone the filling of the 350 until a later date.

....When I Grow Up, I Want To Be Just Like Mattmoo...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
More deaths? That sucks Bill.

I gotta say I don't blame you for putting the big one on hold for now.

When you say "torn down and put away" do you mean you're taking a break from it all? Don't give up.... you can beat this...

sk8rdn

More deaths? That sucks Bill.

I gotta say I don't blame you for putting the big one on hold for now.

When you say "torn down and put away" do you mean you're taking a break from it all? Don't give up.... you can beat this...

No, just the 40B I got as a QT for the 350's new fish. I ended up moving the mandarins to it when I was having issues with the filter on their little 12G isolation tank. Guess that was a bad idea. The 50 will still be running, but the only thing I'm buying for that will be salt.

The 350 is where all the investments will go. The 40 will be put away until such time as the 350 is wet and it can be used as a proper QT (hopefully without all the deaths).

Does everyone just use plain old white vinegar to clean the tanks? Maybe vinegar/rinse/bleach/rinse/vinegar/rinse/rinse? Whatever chemical is in the tank, I want it gone.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I use 50/50 Vinegar and Water for all of my cleaning chores. I just soaked my pumps and some other equipment in a 50/50 solution for about 3 hours and the crud (aka coralline) literally just fell off of everything.

steved13

PREMIUM
Sorry to hear Bill. :( It seems like they all went over a little while? not all at once really? The ones that took longer...were they looking good and then went suddenly, or did some go and the others were looking bad and then went? I'm just trying to get an idea...I would think if it were a contaminant they would have all gone at once pretty quickly. But if not a contaminant...what the heck is it?????

sk8rdn

I use 50/50 Vinegar and Water for all of my cleaning chores. I just soaked my pumps and some other equipment in a 50/50 solution for about 3 hours and the crud (aka coralline) literally just fell off of everything.

50/50 it is. Thanks.

sk8rdn

Sorry to hear Bill. :( It seems like they all went over a little while? not all at once really? The ones that took longer...were they looking good and then went suddenly, or did some go and the others were looking bad and then went? I'm just trying to get an idea...I would think if it were a contaminant they would have all gone at once pretty quickly. But if not a contaminant...what the heck is it?????

Not all the fish that have died in this tank were in at the same time.

First to go was the juv Atlantic blue tang. about a week. Eating fine, swimming great. Then dead.
Drained over 50% of the water, cleaned all the equipment.
About a week or so later, I got my Wardii goby. He went in the tank. He was in for about 3 days or so when my filter on the mandarin's tank started leaking all over the place. I had no choice to move them, and all their LR, into the 40B. About 3-4 days after that, the Wardii died (about a week total).
Tested water, results were posted here. Nothing unusual. It should be noted that I don't have any of the other tests, such as copper, silicates, etc.
Since then, the mandarins have been in this tank without issues. Even game them supplemental frozen food that the LFS owner said that a lot of people are having great sucess with feeding to their mandarins. Worst case scenario, they didn't care for it. Not big deal.
Changed out some water (don't recall how much).
About a week later (the other night) the mandarins were gone.

It's gotta be contaminant. There's just no other thing I can think of. I doubt it to be stray voltage, as my hands are in this tank a lot and have never felt anything. Plus the only equipment in the water was a 300W heater (I'd feel that) a MJ1200 (I should feel that too) and if you want to count the HOB filter as "in" the water, then that too.

I just don't get it.

steved13

PREMIUM
Hmm:ponder2:

Yeah, that's the weird part, if it's a contaminant why did some fish last so long with no ill effects and then gone. Whenever I've heard of a contamination everything went quickly.

Maybe something on/in one of the foods?

sk8rdn

Hmm:ponder2:

Yeah, that's the weird part, if it's a contaminant why did some fish last so long with no ill effects and then gone. Whenever I've heard of a contamination everything went quickly.

Maybe something on/in one of the foods?

That may be for the mandarins, and (remotely) possibly for the Wardii, but for sure not the tang.

Like I said, if it was contaminants, it should have been taken care of by the water changes. Or at least, I think so. Unless its coming from the tank itself...

....When I Grow Up, I Want To Be Just Like Mattmoo...

may2024

Hey Bill I’ve been following along on your thread for a while now. Sorry that you have been having such a hard time at it recently. I just what to mention something about one of your posts. I wouldn’t necessarily rule out stray current in the tank just on the basis that you can’t feel it. You most probably wouldn’t feel a few stray milliamps of power or possibly even a little more unless you were well grounded. But it could conceivably be enough to stress the fish over time. If you have any suspect equipment that you feel could be introducing power into the tank I would defiantly check. My biggest suspects would be the HOB or MJ1200 the oldest of the two to start just something to look at. What ever it is I hope you find it good luck.

sk8rdn

Hey Bill I’ve been following along on your thread for a while now. Sorry that you have been having such a hard time at it recently. I just what to mention something about one of your posts. I wouldn’t necessarily rule out stray current in the tank just on the basis that you can’t feel it. You most probably wouldn’t feel a few stray milliamps of power or possibly even a little more unless you were well grounded. But it could conceivably be enough to stress the fish over time. If you have any suspect equipment that you feel could be introducing power into the tank I would defiantly check. My biggest suspects would be the HOB or MJ1200 the oldest of the two to start just something to look at. What ever it is I hope you find it good luck.

Thank you, Larry.
You may be right. I do have a grounding probe on the 50, but I only have one, and so there wasn't one on the 40B. I suppose this could be a cause. I guess when I think of stray current, I'm thinking of when a heater or something totally craps out and I stick my hand in and suddenly I feel all tingly inside :D That's not to say that if I don't feel it, it isn't there. I'll have to do a bit of playing around with this idea at some point this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.