Sk8rdn's BIG 350 Gallon Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Must be a curse on this forum or thread. When I post a pic of a fish to this page, the animal dies.

uny8una6.jpg

Readings as of removing the fish carcass. He was alive yesterday, as I showed him to my grandmother when she came over.

77 F
0 ammonia
5< nitrite
0 trates
8.4 pH

Why do you think my pH is that high in the QT? Seems odd, but not way out of whack... And it sure didn't happen quickly overnight...

....H20 incapable....

StirCrayzy

What was ph of his bag water?
Something odd must be happening thats too many fish to call coincidence.

Dissolved O2 or CO2 ? Random deaths suck.
Maybe Lee could have some ideas?

sk8rdn

What was ph of his bag water?
Something odd must be happening thats too many fish to call coincidence.

Dissolved O2 or CO2 ? Random deaths suck.
Maybe Lee could have some ideas?

Couldn't tell ya the pH of the bag, came from the LFS with a 5 min drive home. Plus, death was a week later. More than enough time to cope with any sudden changes.
I agree that it is odd that i'm having deaths like this at random. It's starting to piss me off...
As to Lee, last i heard he was gone from the forum as off 10/30, so I don't think he can help.
The O2: I do have a air bar in the QT running off a air pump because my BioWheel impeller was sticking every once and a while, and until I can get it replaced with a new one, the aeration was a fail safe to keep the water moving and oxygenated.
Co2, I have no Idea...

As you can see, I've just about gone through all the possibilities! Lol

StirCrayzy

Didnt realize it was a week, i havent been around much (hunting season)
Also missed Lees departure... wow.
Im curious to see what possibilities could be the cause .

Paint or other airborne contaminant, ...?

Ill keep throwing stuff out there, cause i know how we can easily miss simple things.

sk8rdn

Didnt realize it was a week, i havent been around much (hunting season)
Also missed Lees departure... wow.
Im curious to see what possibilities could be the cause .

Paint or other airborne contaminant, ...?

Ill keep throwing stuff out there, cause i know how we can easily miss simple things.

While a foreign contaminate (insert Wall-E picture here) is always a possibility, my two mandarins are in this tank (as I had a power filter die and leave me short one) and they are and have been doing fine. I'd think that it would hit them first...

Airborne is also possible, but again, it is 3 feet from my 50 gallon. What's in one should be in the other.

The only other thing I can think of is Kids/Noise. The stand the tank is on was made for them to have a TV on (TV died) so it is prime glass tapping level. However, I'm never out of eyesight of the tank for more time than it takes me to pee or get the mail from the box.

I dunno. I'm just ready to pull my hair out. If I had much left, that is....

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Dang that SUCKS! I hate to see that! After a week I'd rule out something wrong with the fish prior unless it was a "Collection" issue in which it took the animal a while to succumb to it.

I hate HATE to see that regardless.

Good luck. I'd be running some CARBON on that tank heavily just in case.

sk8rdn

Dang that SUCKS! I hate to see that! After a week I'd rule out something wrong with the fish prior unless it was a "Collection" issue in which it took the animal a while to succumb to it.

I hate HATE to see that regardless.

Good luck. I'd be running some CARBON on that tank heavily just in case.

Thanks Al.
I have been running carbon in the HOB. Because it's a power filter, all I have to do is pull the carbon pads if I needed to medicate. Otherwise, I think it helps with water quality and stability so I usually leave it in on the QT.

sk8rdn

See 50 gallon thread for more info.

New deaths.

350 is on hold till spring 2013 at least.

....When I Grow Up, I Want To Be Just Like Mattmoo...

Status
Not open for further replies.