Simulated day and night???

Andrew Camin

Hi everyone.

We have just ordered our 1st large RSM 650 tank, which with any luck should be delivered within the next 4 weeks if the eta is correct.

I know that the system currently comes with the 10 x t5 plus led's, my limited understanding of T5 lights is they are either on or off.... no slow dimmer type function..

My question is ' can these T5 lights recreate the slow sun rise and sunset, rather than on / off???' or is this type of control limited to LED systems??

Last edited:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
My very limited knowledge of T5s...Say Nope can't do it.
The ones I ran were either ON or OFF.
Until I changed over to LEDs I had no sunrise/sunset effect.

But:
:rbwwelc:WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:
I hope you will start a tank thread & share your build with us.
There's a Red Sea rep here @RedSeaKev who can verify any questions you have about the beautiful tank you have coming your way.
Very BEST WISHES....:cruiser:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

+3 from that I have read...

DaveK

Hi everyone.

We have just ordered our 1st large RSM 650 tank, which with any luck should be delivered within the next 4 weeks if the eta is correct.

I know that the system currently comes with the 10 x t5 plus led's, my limited understanding of T5 lights is they are either on or off.... no slow dimmer type function..

My question is ' can these T5 lights recreate the slow sun rise and sunset, rather than on / off???' or is this type of control limited to LED systems??

The others are only partly correct. While an individual T5 bulb must be on or off, you can control when each bulb or pairs of bulbs come on and off.

For example, let's say you have a 4 bulb T5 fixture with two circuits in it. This will usually have two power cords. Lets say a 10000K T5 bulb and a actinic bulb in each circuit.

Then you can simulate dawn and duck to some extent by using two timers. Have one come on from 10 AM to 8 PM and the other come on from 11 AM to 7 PM.

Of course you can switch the bulbs around or use different ones. You could also use a 6 bulb fixture and stagger them even more.

In some cases you might need to rewire the fixture so you can use multiple timers to get this effect.