Sifter gobies

sacktheqb65

I recently got a sand sifter. He is going to town! My question is, with the water ever clear up? There is always sand in the water column now and the rocks/coral look like they have been snowed on. Is there anything to be done, or just keep at it with the turkey baster and know that it will be like that?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Nope....not much you can do.......he will do that constantly.

sirrealism

The Goby will never stop. Its what they do. There are a few things you can do but not a lot. Put flow closer to the bottom and expect to have mounds of sand. then restack your rock work so that it higher. Some even turn there rock to make pedestals so that very little rock is touching the sand. That with keeping flow lower in the tank will keep most of it off the corals and rocks. If you have corals on the sand. Forget it. They will always be covered

sacktheqb65

Unfortunately, that's kind of what I figured. Didn't know if maybe it would get better over time or if I pointed my powerheads differently it would be better. I really like him but just wish the water didn't look so sandy.

Steve L

Depends how much crud is in your sand bed. I've owned two sifters and the water cleared up after a couple weeks. My biggest problem is that the sifters tend to be jumpers and I don't have a lid on my tank. Both jumped within the first couple months.

s2k750

I made this mistake when i first started and it took me probably a month before i finally netted him =(

neildradford

PREMIUM
My Goby's sifting/tunnel building has got to such ridiculous levels that I now feel he has to go. A shame as I really like his character (digging aside). He is an orange spotted goby.
The next task is to get him out, fun fun.

JJB103

How long have you had it? Mine did the same thing and it eventually got to where he wasn't sifting as much and eating more frozen food. He just sifting small amounts now almost grazing the sand bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk