Shrimp Nitrate Tolerance

CMG

Hello,

I have been looking into getting a shrimp, I would like either a fire red shrimp or a coral banded shrimp. In my readings I have found that shrimp are not as tolerant of nitrates as fish but it never really gives a range of nitrate tolerance. I have a 40g FOWLR with 3 damsels and a nasirus snail and my nitrates range from 0-5 maybe even up to 10 sometimes depending on when the last water change was. Is this too high? I am also having a diatom bloom now and dont know if that is harmful to shrimp? Thank you.

framerguy

In the research I have done I have found that shrimp, and most inverts can handle nitrates up to about 35ppm. Then it starts to get touchy. At 40, some feather dusters will lose their crowns. They arent' shrimp but you get the picture. At 10 you are fine. I wouldn't worry at 20 even. At 30 you may want to take steps to lower it.

CMG

SWEET! I am so paranoid about messing up, I want to get it right the first time.

Are there any ups and downs to different types of shrimp? Are they like fish where some are more aggresive than others. From reading it seems the deep red ones with white spots are really shy and at the LFS the coral banded one was not scared of me at all. I just dont want them attacking my fish or anything.

framerguy

Shrimp are theives and can be aggressive about stealing food. The cleaners (Lysmata sp.) are still good to have IMO, just feed them first to keep them away from corals you are feeding. The banded shrimps (Stenopus sp.)can be quite aggressive and may attack shrimp, snails, worms and certainly their own kind. Don't get any of the Camelbacks (Rhynchocinetes sp) as they prey on corals and polyps and are not reef safe.

CMG

Interesting, thank you for the info. I have a FOWLR so I am not really too worried about stealing since the fish are so fast at getting to their food, but if I notice my snails (when I get some) start disapearing after I get a shrimp then at least I will know who it was! haha.

Ok, good I feel much better now knowing their water needs and behaviors. This forum is great.

Oh wait, I forgot....will the diatom bloom hurt them? I assume not since it doesnt seem to be bothering the fish.

framerguy

Oh wait, I forgot....will the diatom bloom hurt them? I assume not since it doesnt seem to be bothering the fish.

No, it won't hurt them. If you have a FO tank then the shrimp choices change a little. Camelbacks would be fine in there. The lysmatas would perform cleaning services on your fish. The Stenopus would as well, but the Lysmata wouldn't bother the snails and such. HTH

lcstorc

Shrimp and other inverts are very sensitive to changes particularly in salinity. These animals need to be acclimated more slowly than fish so that they are not shocked by the change in environment.
Yes the fire shrimp are a bit shy but I absolutely love them. Mine come out at night and at feeding time but are upside down under a rock ledge the rest of the time. Expensive but IMO well worth it.

CMG

I did read that they are very sensative to acclimation, salinity changes, etc. as compared to fish. I will make sure to float the bag until it reaches the correct tnak temp and then also drip acclimate him/her with my drip line that I have yet to use! I want to float the bag in the tank while I drip acclimate it so the temp doesnt change but I havent figured out how to weight it down.

CMG

I read somewhere online I think Drs. Foster smith that the salinity shouldnt be higher than 1.025 for inverts but dont most reefers keep their salinity at 1.026?

do not get a coral banded shrimp ,I just spent a few hours trying to catch mine recently

they look great but will attack kill ,more meaningful shrimp...lol

but do what ya like

CMG

Too late!! haha. I am acclimating it right now. I only plan on having one shrimp and this is it. I only ahve a 40g so I dont want too many of any one thing. I figure one shrimp some snails a watchman goby and a pecula clown for the finace, she wont shut up about how thats what I have to get, so I figure eventually when my QT tank is ready I will get it for her. hehe.

cracker

I did read that they are very sensative to acclimation, salinity changes, etc. as compared to fish. I will make sure to float the bag until it reaches the correct tnak temp and then also drip acclimate him/her with my drip line that I have yet to use! I want to float the bag in the tank while I drip acclimate it so the temp doesnt change but I havent figured out how to weight it down.
I use a half gallon pitcher the handle is open at the botom it hooks over the sump . I put the bag in the pitcher then the pitcher in the sump. I add a little sump water to the pitcher to weigh it down.

CMG

Here are some pictures of my new and first invertibrate who I have yet to name...hmmmmm....

Do I need to feed it directly or does it just survive off of scraps? Its likes to hide in the back of the tank until night time, perhaps because its a new environment so I havent seen it being a thief yet?

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/13547/ppuser/7029

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/13548/size/big/ppuser/7029

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/13549/ppuser/7029

lcstorc

Yes they pretty much eat scraps and are a good addition to your cleanup crew. Many shrimp are nocturnal and pretty much only come out at night.

framerguy

The thievery usually only applies to stealing from corals IME. The shrimp will set up a cleaning station and the fish will come to it. They are a good addition to a FOWLR tank.

CMG

Well mine is still shy I think since it hides in the corner for now, its only ben in there for a day. But I also only have 3 damsels and they are kind of spaz's so I dont know if they are interested in staying calm enough to get a cleaning! haha. Once I feel comfortable with my SW ability's I will get "cooler" fish and perhaps they would like a cleaning. : )

CMG

It turns out my shrimp is not a true coral banded shrimp but instead a golden coral shrimp. Darn it! I am swaping it hopefully on friday for a true coral shrimp as I like the coloration much more. This one has a golden body and I thought maybe thats just what a juvanille looked like. But upon purchasing my new nifty little book: Marine Invertibrates by Ronald Shimek I have learned otherwise. there are three types.

I also got some new snails today. Maybe you can help ID them? Form looking at my new book they appear to be either Nerites or Turbos but I think turbos are large? These are maybe 1/4-1/2 inches but they seem pretty speedy?

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/13617/size/big

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/13616/size/big

framerguy

the photos I saw were definately Nerite snails. Turbos are usually small though, around one inch. Mini Turbos (Collonista) are much smaller at 1/4". Your book shows both, check them out.

I have an evil coral banded shrimp. His name is Al. I have read coral banded shrimps can take on a cleaner role. I have yet to see this with Al. He attacks anything that gets near him. He has killed 4 lysmata (cleaner shrimps) a smaller coral banded and a few slow fish. He runs to my hand when I am doing maintenance in the tank. He is quite large and nice to look at but I would never buy another one again. Good luck with yours.