Shrimp Nitrate Tolerance

CMG

I have an evil coral banded shrimp. His name is Al. I have read coral banded shrimps can take on a cleaner role. I have yet to see this with Al. He attacks anything that gets near him. He has killed 4 lysmata (cleaner shrimps) a smaller coral banded and a few slow fish. He runs to my hand when I am doing maintenance in the tank. He is quite large and nice to look at but I would never buy another one again. Good luck with yours.

Awww, thats too bad. Mine is a big chicken! haha. He hides in the corner all day and at night slightly ventures over the rock in the corner. I think he cleans because I see him shoving his little "fingers" n his mouth all day as he travels around the sand and rock in the corner all day.

I will probably just end up keeping this guy because its so much time trying to capture them and then acclimate a new one. A college student with two jobs a cat and a fiance only has so much time! :eek:

CMG

the photos I saw were definately Nerite snails. Turbos are usually small though, around one inch. Mini Turbos (Collonista) are much smaller at 1/4". Your book shows both, check them out.

Thank you! I will defenetly check out my book again. I enjoy reading about all of these creatures in my book. It also mentions taht snails are one of the most abused aquarium creatures because usually too many are purchased and they starve to a sustainable level. Luckily I only have 3 in a 40g so I think they are ok. And I also noticed that where I initially placed them on my LR it is white now so I guess they eat the diatoms pretty well. :dance:

CMG

So apparently there are 2 nerites, a pacific one and a carrabean one. The ones I have seem to be carabean. Interesting stuff. They are cleaning away. Unfortunately one got sucked into a pump but I think he is going to pull through. More on my chronical about that.