Should I?

jpsika08

Well, my former 275 Gal tank ain't selling as no one seems interested, I have it right now in a warehouse taking dust, I was considering placing the tank and cabinet in my office and start a African Cichlid Freshwater tank, so first question would be, should I?

I think it's low maintenance to care for them and to keep the tank stable, but, as my lack of experience here maybe you all can guide me or slap me out of the idea LOL :D

Or even maybe some Piranhas LOL, if a sales person doesn't fill the quota he knows where his hand would go in LOL j/k

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
a 275 chiclid tank is going to be a fair amount of work, very large water changes weekly will be a chore, its probably pretty deep so cleaning the sand is going to be more work as well, a tank that size would be a totally AWESOME Riparium and a lot less work (and you could still have chiclids)

jpsika08

Thanks for the advice, I think you're right, and having the big tank over my house to maintain it, I will end with no back at the end of the year LOL

DaveK

I don't quite see things the same way. I think an African Cichlid tank could work out just fine, but since you want it low maintenance, you'd have to make some changes over a typical African Cichlid tank.

First, low stocking. Those type of fish do create a lot of waste products. Choose colorful fish, so they show up.

Also a lot of rocks for them to hide in and around. As I recall for the biotype to be correct, the rocks should be more or less round, but I'd see no issue with using flat rocks like slate and piled up.

As much as I don't like plastic plants, I'd add some tall green ones, just so it looks good. Again such plants are not native to the biotype.

Possibly some large driftwood.

Lots of filtration and circulation to remove waste products.

Dim light to keep algae down. That is dim compared to a reef or even a FW planted tank.

African Cichlids are going to hang around toward the bottom, and the rocks. You might want some species that swim out in the open and near the surface, even if thy are not African Cichlids.

catran

I had chiclids and bred them for years and I loved them. They really are awesome, pretty fish. They are not expensive to keep, and most are pretty hardy. Dave is right, except after dealing with them, I can say the plants may be a problem! They like to move substrate, big fish will even move large pebbles the size of dimes around- a territorial thing. I have a friend who can't keep the plastic plants from floating! As far as rocks, they really don't care, I had both smooth and slate in my tanks, whatever looks natural. Driftwood is awesome in the tank, it's pretty, and it helps stabilizes ph. I used large pebble like gravel, not sand because they have the habit of sucking it in and blowing substrate back out. I always felt that would keep the tank cloudy, although, I know some people use sand. I like it because I was able to get the small gravel and large pebbles cleaner since you can vacuum it a lot easier and thoroughly. Python and others make the syphon cleaning systems that clean gravel and they sell gravel tubes from 20" to 72" long.

I think some different very colorful malawi chilids would be awesome in a 275g tank! My LFS has a wall that has to be 12-15ft x 20 ft long filled with african chilids and it looks awesome!
Just be careful to read up on the species that you might like. They are territoral and some are very aggressive. Last lesson you need is how easy it is to lose an expensive fish. I had fish jump into a breeder net at the top of the tank to kill another. He actually had to go airborne to get into the net but there was no stopping him. That's how strong their insticts are! Also, be careful of the more delicate ones that require more care. I love my sw tanks but if I had the room I would have both a very large sw and a very large chiclid tank!

Edit: Oh yeah, Dave is right about the lights too. As a matter of fact, I don't think they like high lighting. I you have T5's already, just don't use all of the bulbs in your fixture. Actually, T8's are perfect for them.

DaveK

.. I can say the plants may be a problem! They like to move substrate,... I have a friend who can't keep the plastic plants from floating! ...

This is why I recommend plastic plants in a chiclid tank. If you can't get them to stay down, you can add some plant weights to them, or you can silicon them to a rock or driftwood.

Note - it's very painful to me to recommend plastic plants, as I much prefer FW planted tanks (grin) However, there really are not other options with chiclids.

jpsika08

Dave and Cat,
Thank you both for the great advice, I think I will end doing it, which site would you recommend to read about freshwater systems? I need to learn first about water and taking care of a this system type, then to learn more about Cichlids.

I was thinking of a system with black gravel (mostly pebble types) flat rocks and no plants, even I would like big rocks so the scape would look almost as natural as possible.

Dkstar0809

As a former Cichlid keeper who moved to reefs, I would recommend against this route.

Successful cichlid tanks are kept over-crowded. Many of the species are aggressive and the over-crowding helps to protect the fish by allowing the smaller ones to escape in the crowd when being chased. 275 gallons would mean a LOT of cichlids. It's a beautiful thing to sea a swarm of Africans, but it means a ton of water. When my tank was in pristine condition and maxed out with stock I was doing a 50% weekly water change.

MHO.

PIMPALA

I did FW for a long time. as far as the plastic plans go... there are lots that look real, and are very nice. all you have to do to keep them from floating, is super glue the bottoms to a decent size rock. Oscars, and Cichlids that I kept always moved the plants, rocks, and whatever else they were big enough to move.

oh, and i do not miss my freshwater stuff at all after moving over to salt. just sayin'

PIMPALA

I'd do a Predator tank!! Do an all EEL tank, or maybe just some super mean scorps, or something rare and cool. its already set up for SW. so just make it all fish. all you need is a sump, and a super size skimmer!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
As a former Cichlid keeper who moved to reefs, I would recommend against this route.

Successful cichlid tanks are kept over-crowded. Many of the species are aggressive and the over-crowding helps to protect the fish by allowing the smaller ones to escape in the crowd when being chased. 275 gallons would mean a LOT of cichlids. It's a beautiful thing to sea a swarm of Africans, but it means a ton of water. When my tank was in pristine condition and maxed out with stock I was doing a 50% weekly water change.

MHO.

Bingo! total agreement here, I only keep Tropheus sp black Bulu points, you never get the colony behavior by mixing types and the more the merrier, my 210 has at least 150 to 200 fish

chaynes73

Bingo! total agreement here, I only keep Tropheus sp black Bulu points, you never get the colony behavior by mixing types and the more the merrier, my 210 has at least 150 to 200 fish

Woah that's alot of fish, did you buy them all or did you raise them?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
totally awesome! yeah no doubt water change day has got to be like slip an' slide at least thats the way for me

I keep a 140gallons of treated and heated water ready always, so 3 tanks a week at around 100 gal a time, old reef pumps have a use

jpsika08

Do it mine always end up being salt, even if they start out being fresh...just saying....lol

Thanks, this is just for office enjoyment, I would never trade my SW at home for a FW tank :)

MHO.

Thanks for the advice, :)

I did FW for a long time. as far as the plastic plans go... there are lots that look real, and are very nice. all you have to do to keep them from floating, is super glue the bottoms to a decent size rock. Oscars, and Cichlids that I kept always moved the plants, rocks, and whatever else they were big enough to move.

oh, and i do not miss my freshwater stuff at all after moving over to salt. just sayin'

Thanks Jason, :)

How about a FOWLR?

I'd do a Predator tank!! Do an all EEL tank, or maybe just some super mean scorps, or something rare and cool. its already set up for SW. so just make it all fish. all you need is a sump, and a super size skimmer!

I couldn't handle other SW tank, just imagining investing in sump, skimmer or more salt for WC :eek: LOL
Thanks for the suggestion though.

Wow, that sure is lots of fish, would love to see a picture of it :)

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions, I have lots of thinking to do after reading the above.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
CopyofTShad019.jpg

not so good with camera as many will attest lol

jpsika08

That tank looks beautiful! love the aquascape, congrats! where do you have your thread for this tank? If you don't, then you should LOL :)